Third-party software/AU instruments won't play back from saved project after cleaning Mac storage.

lorenzogc

For context: I was doing some spring cleaning on my Mac. Deleting local Time Machine backups that were eating up space. I also used an application that is similar to CleanMyMac called BuhoCleaner. I might have deleted some important cached information from Logic in the process.

The problem: Whenever I open up a saved project that is on an external HDD, formatted correctly to macOS Journaled mind you, third party AU instruments like Kontakt, Serum, or Vital aren't playing back MIDI data that was already recorded and saved. Only when I create a new instances of those instruments does sound play back and save correctly.

Troubleshooting: I tried to delete AudioUnitCache. Didn't work. I also tried to save a copy of the project onto my local Desktop. Didn't work either. I opened up older projects to see if the problem persists. It does. I also tried restarting computer, that didn't solve the problem either.

Note: Audio samples like one-shot kicks or snares play back just fine, but the problem lies with the external AU instruments I think. Native software instruments like Alchemy and RetroSynth work fine to playback sound that was saved at an earlier date. Maybe I'll need delete Logic Pro and reinstall it. Hopefully I won't have to.

Just brainstorming here:

For those 3rd party virtual instruments like Kontakt, have you tried launching same as stand alone app?

IOW, when used as stand alone, does Kontakt play the sampled instruments?

If not, the problem may rather be more with those virtual instrument app not finding their samples, than Logic.

One other thought, do those problematic plugins are using AUpresets (Logic’s custom library) to load in their presets? Had you moved those Aupresets library to the external drive? Were those victims of your Mac clean up procedure?

IOW, when used as stand alone, does Kontakt play the sampled instruments?

Yes it does play, my MIDI keyboard isn't registering the notes but when I click on the keys on the screen sound plays back.

[Do] those problematic plugins are using AUpresets (Logic’s custom library) to load in their presets?

I am not sure what you mean by this.

Had you moved those Aupresets library to the external drive? Were those victims of your Mac clean up procedure?

If I am understanding you correctly, I did move my Kontakt instruments onto my external SSD way before the clean. The Kontakt samples weren't deleted in other words.

Note: I don't think it's a routing related issue. Usually when there is routing related issue Kontakt issues a pop-up window stating that the samples are not where they are supposed to be. But in this case nothing appears.

Update: This problem is also appearing to affect vocals that I previously recorded as well. Maybe this is a plugin related issue. I was having finicky issues with iZotope before the clean. Specifically with their Neutron plugin version 4.4.0. The reason I cleaned my computer in the first place was because I wanted to make Neutron work more efficiently. I was also having trouble with it validating on Final Cut Pro, but it successfully validated on Logic Pro.