Posted: New script to control multiple plugin parameters with a single fader along a curve

Hi everyone, I wrote a script for Logic that allows you to use a single fader and control multiple plugin parameters by setting a custom response curve for each parameter. I use it to control Expression and Dynamics for my orchestral instruments, but you can do much more with it than that. I like it because I only have a single automation lane to edit for my performances.

It's public and open source. Hope it's useful!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

Wow! That's big man!

Impressive! Really!

Thanx so much!

No problem! Probably 1/4 of it is Logic Pro utility code, which is probably pretty useful in other scripts which need dynamic parameters or to trace a lot of output.

Edited by mbishop

• 2 months later...

Excellent!

Especialy when you're on the move with a reduced setup and not all you usual faders available.

I will add in the tip section: when you check the option "record MIDI to track" you get not 1 curve, the CC you used,  but for instance the curve for CC1 and the curve for CC11, hence you can fine edit them as you wich.

Edited by FLH3

@mbishop : Regarding (and to avoid) the issue you are reporting in the last segment of your video tutorial (to use C Slider), about the unsafe way to add new parameters, I wonder if you have tried to save the 3rd party plugin as a preset in its own format, then save it as a AUpreset in Logic and then as a channelstrip preset (including the other audio and MIDI Fx plugins) or as part of a patch, all that before saving your project?

Edited by Atlas007

On 5/18/2023 at 1:01 AM, mbishop said:

someone mentioned there is some overlap between this and smart controls.

Indeed you can do this with Smart Controls: you can map a Smart Control to multiple parameters and each parameter can have its own curve, inverted or not, and generally as complex as you want it to be: 

smart-control-curve.png.e52500aae29389d7

Still it's great to have a way to do this with Scripter which allows for a different kind of workflow. Thanks for sharing!! 🙂 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2023 at 9:00 AM, David Nahmani said:

Indeed you can do this with Smart Controls: you can map a Smart Control to multiple parameters and each parameter can have its own curve, inverted or not, and generally as complex as you want it to be: 

smart-control-curve.png.e52500aae29389d7

Still it's great to have a way to do this with Scripter which allows for a different kind of workflow. Thanks for sharing!! 🙂 

I never used Smart Controls, only played with them when they were implemented. One thing I noticed right away (not sure if this has changed or not) is that you can't save "presets" and reuse them so I think using the Scripter seems to be better because of that. Just save it as a preset and you can reuse it. Smart Controls, if you have to create them from scratch, is a big pain.

Edited by Danny Wyatt
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 4:31 AM, Richard Herczeg said:

Mr. Bishop,

I came across this nugget by you (Humanising Swam Violin with a Logic script) ... 

Any progress ... I'd like to give it a go myself.

Unfortunately I don’t have anything finalized on that. I’ll keep working on it though!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2023 at 11:24 PM, Richard Herczeg said:

Yes, please. Randomising the instruments' timbre as well as responsiveness creates a believable ensemble. I imagine you've seen this ... 

I have! I'm trying as best as I can to have my script follow those principles.

• Like 1