Copying the old version before you update

m-m-m
Go to solution Solved by des99,

I tried to follow these instructions from another thread, but when I try to open the copy after an update, it still says the new version of Logic when I click on "about Logic Pro" in the menu bar

from David Nahmani

In your Applications folder, control-click the Logic Pro app and choose duplicate. Rename it with the version number for example "Logic Pro 10.7.4", then update from the App Store. It will update only the one named "Logic Pro". 

Any help with what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated

Normally, one should first duplicate the Logic Pro app from within the Application folder. (Personally, I prefer zip it instead of duplicating it). You should then end up with two Logic Pro in the Application folder (a Logic Pro app + a Logic Pro duplicate/.zip).

Once duplicated/zipped, the newly created Logic Pro (duplicated/zipped) file has to be renamed (to whatever you like i.e. "LogicPro backup version x.xx") before you proceed with the download to update from the App Store. That is because the downloaded installation will overwrite the currently original one (named Logic Pro) in your Application folder. That is because the downloaded file from AppStore and the current installed app are named identically (Logic Pro).

• Like 1

• Solution

I have 10.4.8, 10.6.3, 10.7.6 and 10.7.7 in my apps folder, and I can run whichever I want by running the appropriate one. I've never once run the 10.4.8 and had the 10.7.7 app run, so my guess is you're doing something wrong.

Assuming you have two apps in the apps folder, do a get info on each, and check the version number. If they both say the same version number, then they are just two copies of the same app. You need one for 10.7.4 (assuming that's what you have) and one for 10.7.7.

• Like 3

I figured it out. My theory is that when I upgraded it applied the upgrade to the last one I had open, which happened to be the copy. So now, the one that's Labeled 10.7.4 is running 10.7.7, but the one that I copied from is still 10.7.4. I'll just rename them and that'll be that, I suspect.

Thanks to des99 for getting me to recheck with get info.

I actually wrote this before David Responded, but I forgot to click submit.

• Like 2