My take folders are haunted

kotrl

This could just as well be a feature, not a bug, but I have never seen my take folders do this. Sine kind of mystery ghost track.

I'm also experiencing what's more like a bug, where playback on certain takes is just cutting out at certain sections. If I change to other takes, the audio plays fine. I somehow magically got around this by switching to different track alternative, playing some audio, and switching back. But it doesn't always work

Screenshot 2023-06-24 at 13.43.51.png

M1 10.7.8

I was running a buffer size of 32 but it hasn’t been a problem before

The greyed out tracks is the part I don’t recognise, and wouldn’t associate with a buffer size issue. It was all behaving very strangely.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @olifrost, did you ever figure this out?

I'm having both of these issues as well! I've returned to a project that's been on hold for a while, and now all my new takes (and none of the old takes) are showing this ghosted-in loop of each take, perpetually extending after it, inside the take folder. I'm also experiencing the audio of random takes cutting out. Sometimes just switching takes and back fixes it, but not always. If my project is corrupt somehow, that's reeeeeally bad. That's sooo much work to redo.

I'm also having another take folder issue, but only with a different track than the one I'm talking about above: In this other take folder (an acoustic guitar track, whereas the other is voice) when I try to comp takes, I'm now getting terrible popping sounds wherever the crossfades are. I can see it is applying crossfades between take transitions, as it always did, but now I'm consistently getting prominent pops and cracks. 

None of these issues happened months ago when I was previously working on this project. 

Anyone have any egress with these issues? Thanks!

Edited by tyeNewton

I can't remember if or how I got around this. I might've started a new project.

The only possibly related thing I found was I had Audio Region default set to Loop

Need to report this to Apple but it's hard to describe.

Roger that. I might be able to show them over an Apple Support call. I recently solved and issue with them sharing screens, which was quite successful!

It took me a bit to find the Audio Defaults in the Inspector panel, where mine was also had Loop checked. This must have been set this way as a factory default (which is a puzzling choice by the Logic developers), because in that previous Apple Support call I mentioned, the solution to my issue was simply to "Reset all settings except key commands." For the most part, it wasn't a big deal to set things up back the way I like, but I didn't notice this Loop setting, and wouldn't have expected it on as a default.

In any case, unchecking that did resolve the "issue" of the ghosted loops after takes; new takes are not behaving this way—but interestingly, the takes that were doing this still are! I have no idea what it means or how to change the setting for the existing takes. 

I can't imagine this having had an effect on the other two (real) problems of the takes cutting out and the pops between takes on the other track... However... so far so good!? I haven't run into either issue since changing that, today.

...which also means: maybe I can't show this to Apple Support after all. Very strange. I'll try to remember to report back if it comes back, but for now, thanks SO much for that tip @olifrost!

• 4 months later...
13 hours ago, Alex_oz said:

This just started to happen to me when I installed Logic 10.8. Has anyone found the solution yet?? 

As mentioned above, the issue was resolved for me (at the time, and at least for new takes) by turning off Loop in the Audio Defaults in the Inspector panel. I’m not at my Mac, and it’s been a while, but I believe this the panel on the left side (when showing). 

If this turns out to be it, my hypothesis is that the latest update (or something that occurred around the same time) somehow reset those Audio Defaults… although Loop on for audio regions would be a bizarre choice for a default setting, so even then it might be unintended behavior. 

12 hours ago, tyeNewton said:

As mentioned above, the issue was resolved for me (at the time, and at least for new takes) by turning off Loop in the Audio Defaults in the Inspector panel. I’m not at my Mac, and it’s been a while, but I believe this the panel on the left side (when showing). 

If this turns out to be it, my hypothesis is that the latest update (or something that occurred around the same time) somehow reset those Audio Defaults… although Loop on for audio regions would be a bizarre choice for a default setting, so even then it might be unintended behavior. 

Thanks mate, unfortunately Loops are off, it's interesting because it only happens to just 1 track of 1 file. Everything else is fine

7 hours ago, Alex_oz said:

Thanks mate, unfortunately Loops are off, it's interesting because it only happens to just 1 track of 1 file. Everything else is fine

Very wacky. I would honestly contact Apple Support. I’ve had surprising success in the past troubleshooting anything that seems like a genuine bug with the Creative Media team (you’d get transferred to them), plus they can collect evidence and bubble it up to the engineering team if they can’t resolve it. I was planning to do this myself if the issue ever showed up again. 

On 11/20/2023 at 12:51 AM, tyeNewton said:

Very wacky. I would honestly contact Apple Support. I’ve had surprising success in the past troubleshooting anything that seems like a genuine bug with the Creative Media team (you’d get transferred to them), plus they can collect evidence and bubble it up to the engineering team if they can’t resolve it. I was planning to do this myself if the issue ever showed up again. 

I sort of fixed, actually just a workaround to be able to keep working. Given that the issue was on just 1 track, I edited as much as I could then I bounce it in place then moved it to other track. Now the issue is gone. Thanks for your help!