Bell tones /guitar /2nd side of abbey road

Does anyone know how the Beatles got those bell like tones from their guitars on the second side of abbey road ? I’ve never heard anything quite like it ….something like maybe a Leslie cabinet but there’s something else ??? Thank you 

I believe a Leslie 147RV cabinet was used on abbey road and there’s bits and pieces of lead guitars that sound more bell like at times than other times… the Elton John song I posted here for sure has the same sound just decades later …

even if I find out what guitars were used specifically there’s so many variables …consoles , preamps , amps etc….playing style etc …

I know there’s a beatle bible that lists specific equipment but ….wow what clean tones ….no pedals or plugins back then …

From Robbie McIntosh:

"I think just John through the Leslie double tracked. They did that album on 8 track so that would be possible. He liked his blond Epiphone through the slow Leslie. Sun King is definitely that. Think “Dear Prudence” from the White Album. It’s really noticeable there. I worked with Donovan some years ago. He credits himself for showing John those finger picking patterns in Rishikesh. That’s what he told me anyway. It’s a pretty cool sound and quite possibly ADT was available, it’s just a slap back delay after all."

2 hours ago, fisherking said:

tubular bells AND guitar together 👍

i might be wrong (i was, once before). that last phrase, with the slide on the guitar... no tubular bell i ever met could do that. so robbie mcintosh may be right.

still, one could do a good emulation of that sound  doubling a guitar with a tubular bell... 🤔

15 minutes ago, fisherking said:

i might be wrong (i was, once before). that last phrase, with the slide on the guitar... no tubular bell i ever met could do that. so robbie mcintosh may be right.

still, one could do a good emulation of that sound  doubling a guitar with a tubular bell... 🤔

There are certainly tubular bells along with the guitars on "You Never Give Me Your Money," at least at the 1:32 spot etc... otherwise, I'm going with Leslie'd guitars for the other guitar sounds. 

I tried out a quickie guitar part in Logic swapping between Waves ADT and Logic's rotary speaker... ADT was much thicker and didn't sit with the Abbey Road vibe...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grumblepig said:

There are certainly tubular bells along with the guitars on "You Never Give Me Your Money," at least at the 1:32 spot etc... otherwise, I'm going with Leslie'd guitars for the other guitar sounds. 

I tried out a quickie guitar part in Logic swapping between Waves ADT and Logic's rotary speaker... ADT was much thicker and didn't sit with the Abbey Road vibe...

That’s cool ….I’ll try some of logic rotary speaKer sims ….

Use 2” tape , Rent out abbey road and grow my hair  lol! No really that guitar sound is pretty cool.

I have to admit I'm almost embarrassed not to have a more dialed-in answer. I've been a Beatles fiend my whole life... but I'm eternally naive about guitars. I've tracked lead guitar through a fully cranked AC30 at Abbey Road, but I wasn't the one moving dials and tweaking the tones. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, grumblepig said:

There are certainly tubular bells along with the guitars on "You Never Give Me Your Money," at least at the 1:32 spot etc.

that's what i thought... at first. but listen to the end of the phrase, where the note is bent. it's the same tonality as the notes before it. so am now convinced there are NOT tubular bells there...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fisherking said:

that's what i thought... at first. but listen to the end of the phrase, where the note is bent. it's the same tonality as the notes before it. so am now convinced there are NOT tubular bells there...

The recording sessions book lists "chimes," which I'm taking to mean tubular bells. The bells are doubling the Leslie'd guitar and the guitar carries on the line past where the bells/chimes end...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, grumblepig said:

The recording sessions book lists "chimes," which I'm taking to mean tubular bells. The bells are doubling the Leslie'd guitar and the guitar carries on the line past where the bells/chimes end...

didn't know there was a book! but nice that i was right in the first place. i will NEVER question myself, on anything... again 👍

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, grumblepig said:

I have to admit I'm almost embarrassed not to have a more dialed-in answer. I've been a Beatles fiend my whole life... but I'm eternally naive about guitars. I've tracked lead guitar through a fully cranked AC30 at Abbey Road, but I wasn't the one moving dials and tweaking the tones. 

Beatles fan here long time as well …wonder why I never thought about those guitar tones Until now …

27 minutes ago, fisherking said:

Could it just be guitars and certain eq and preamps as mentioned before ? Sure sounds different than most clean guitar tones I’ve heard.  That Elton John song has them also …Jeff Lynne probably knows …..

57 minutes ago, MikeRobinson said:

It's clear enough that the sound in "Magic Feeling" isn't actually a bell, because we hear it pitch-bend upward in the third occurrence. So it must be a guitar and interesting studio treatment.

Could also be layered with slide at the same as the guitar picked notes are played. There’s definitely something extra cool about these Beatle guitar parts