Synth question: "I want to loosely mimic the sound of a typewriter"

The song that I right now have in mind concerns a man who spent too many years of his life in a 1950-60's office job.  The sound that I want to put into the background of this piece should "sound like a typewriter," or at least clearly remind you of it. It does not have to be, and probably ought not be, "literal." (In other words: this is not "Nine to Five.") I really want it to be more abstract than that. Which probably means that I need to look at a "pure synthesizer" sound. But I'm really not sure how to approach such a thing. Any thoughts?

My general concept for this song is that the back-layer will consist of "office sounds," with the "typewriter sound" in the forefront of "the cloud" but never commanding too much attention. I want the sounds to provide background context, if you will, to this man's pointless life.

Or if not a sample of an actual keypress, just some short percussivey/white noisey/clappey sound that you can trigger rhythmically in some syncopated way to the beat, to simulate the rhythmic typing effect?

Remember though, in this day and age, the sound of a typewriter, like the floppy disk*, is an anacronism of the past that many people won't get the reference too. A computer keyboard typing sound might be a better bet to help more people get the reference...

* "Oh look dad, someone's 3d-printed the save icon!"

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

I'm sort-of inclined to go for a "percussivey sound," and maybe some kind of "zing" for the carriage return – which, by the way, used to be a physical action.  In this project I really don't want it to sound "realistic." I want something that's a bit abstract.

And I'm "now kinda-sorta thinkin' that maybe I'm thinkin'" about this a bit too much.  😀 A couple of simple short percussion sounds out of the library might do just fine: as long as the rhythm feels right, they'll understand what it's supposed to represent. (In fact, it might even work better if they are "recognizable percussion sounds.")

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 8:45 AM, Dox said:

Why not just record the sound of using a typewriter?

I'm guessing the OP doesn't have one!

I gave mine away to a hipster kid who was excited to explore the Before Times Experience, or something. I do wish I'd kept it, kinda, but I doubt I'd not actually use it. Or maybe I would - I'd start writing 5 page letters to my formerly-teenage penpals...

• Haha 1

I realized that I'd been over-thinking it too much. 😀 I simply used a nice, short, staccato/click sound and a little "ping!"  Once you hear the "ping!" you know what it is.  (That is, if you've ever encountered a typewriter at all ...)

Edited by MikeRobinson

6 hours ago, MikeRobinson said:

I realized that I'd been over-thinking it too much. 😀 I simply used a nice, short, staccato/click sound and a little "ping!"  Once you hear the "ping!" you know what it is.  (That is, if you've ever encountered a typewriter at all ...)

French typewriters make "ding!" (instead of "ping!")…😙

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Found this thread, and decided to give it a go. Just a quick sketch for a typewriter kind of sound.

Start out with the Drum synth, and use a snare sound (e.g. an Electronic snare). Use a very short decay. Distort the signal, using the "Dirt" in drum synth or even using an external distortion effect. Then an EQ to sculpt the sound (take away some low end and perhaps a little bump somewhere to give it a more metallic character. This could be enhanced using for example a Ringshifter (dial in the effect using Dry/wet), or something else making the sound a bit more metallized. Then a very short reverb to give it a bit more body. Tune everything to taste.

Typewriter.thumb.png.09648794f2dd27d2e24b8329e922b8e5.png

• Like 1