Can't edit audio files in external editor

bshonk
Go to solution Solved by Atlas007,

Greetings all,

I'm running Logic Pro X 10.7.8 on a Mac mini M1. I like to edit audio on an external editor, Isotope, and I can usually just click on the audio I want to edit, hit shift-W and off it goes. I'm not having any luck doing this for this particular audio file. I get a message from Logic saying the file is read only. However, my hard drive has read-write permissions for me. Besides, other audio files are editable. So I figure I'll just manually open the audio file from Izotope directly. I open the events window to see the name of the audio file. However, in the audio files folder, there doesn't exist a file with that name! It must exist because I'm playing the audio in Logic Pro! I notice there is a colon in the file name, which I don't often see in other audio track names.

I'm attaching a screenshot showing my finder folder and the events window together. The file I'm interested in is highlighted in light gray.

Back Vox 1:  Back Vox 1.

I'm baffled. Anyone know what is going on?

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 10.30.44 AM.png

• Solution

I would try to bounce-in-place the region or the track. That should create an audio file in the project’s audio folder after saving your project as folders instead of package.

IIRW, opening the project audio browser and right-clicking on the corresponding audio file (or in one of the local menu) should reveal an option to open the Finder at that file’s location.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/12/2023 at 4:36 AM, David Nahmani said:

Did you enable Flex or Follow Tempo for the track where that file is? 

Does doing so result in locked files?

EDIT: Looks like it.

Note: You cannot make destructive edits to an audio file if Flex Pitch has been activated for a region containing the audio file. If possible, make destructive edits to the audio file before activating Flex Pitch, or use Bounce in Place and make the destructive edits to the resulting audio file.

Edited by exmachina
Answering my own question.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, exmachina said:

Does doing so result in locked files?

EDIT: Looks like it.

Yes, because it loads a copy of the audio file in RAM. If you were to edit the audio file (meaning edit the audio file that is stored on the disk), the RAM copy would no longer be the same as the disk copy, which is how Logic prevents this from occurring. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Yes, because it loads a copy of the audio file in RAM. If you were to edit the audio file (meaning edit the audio file that is stored on the disk), the RAM copy would no longer be the same as the disk copy, which is how Logic prevents this from occurring. 

Thanks for the additional info -- makes another case for having a healthy amount of RAM.