External Effects with I/O plugin

NicholasVarley

I've seen this problem on the forums before, and on the net in general, but it was never completely addressed here and I can't find a satisfactory reply elsewhere,  so apologies for the repeated topic. When using the i/o plugin to inject an external effect processor into Logic, I get terrible feedback. My audio interface is an EVO 16 from Audient, and the effect is an Eventide H9. I've tried everything I can possibly think of: software monitoring on/off, changing inputs and outputs, mix settings in the effects processor, digital clock settings, rebooting the mac, having a coffee, meditating, but nothing works. It should. I know I've used this function before, but not since 10.5 (I think !). All I can get is extremely loud feedback. The Eventide on its own works fine. Any thoughts ? Many thanks. N

Are you using the method described here?

Use an external effects unit with I/O utility

1. In Logic Pro, connect an output of your audio interface with the input on your effects unit, and connect the output of your effects unit with an input on your audio interface.

Note: These can be either analog or digital connections, depending on the features of your audio interface and effects unit, and each connection can be either an output or an output pair.

2. Click an effect slot of an aux channel strip that is being used as a bus send/return, and choose Utility > I/O.

3. In the I/O utility window, choose the Outputs and the Inputs of the audio hardware that your effects unit is connected to.

4. Route the signals of any channel strips that you want to process to the bus (aux channel strip) chosen in step 3, and set appropriate Send levels.

5. Adjust the Input Volume and Output Volume sliders as required in the I/O utility window.

6. Click the Latency Detection (Ping) button if you want to detect and compensate for any delay between the selected output and input.

When you start playback, the signals of any channel strips routed to the aux channel chosen in step 3 are processed by the external effects unit.

5 hours ago, NicholasVarley said:

When using the i/o plugin to inject an external effect processor into Logic, I get terrible feedback.

Can you describe exactly how you are routing everything?

(Including and input/output routing in the interface's own mixer, if it has one.)

Edited by des99

I've followed everything that's stated on Apple's website, and I've referred to the LPX manual. I'm trying to send out of output 5 and the signal returns on input 8. I've tried different ins/outs, with the same resulting feedback. I've tried changing the mix settings within the Eventide H9 itself, but it doesn't do much other than mix control, sync settings and so on. Within Logic I've tried the i/o plugin, either on the channel itself or on a aux bus. I've also tried setting the output of the channel to output 5 and creating an audio track with input 8. Same result. I'm beginning to suspect that the solution's in the Audient Mixer app. It has a cue mix system for headphone mixes, alternative mixes etc. If I find a solution, naturally I'll post it here for future reference. Thx for your replies. N

As promised, here is the solution for any EVO 16 users, (applies possibly to other software mixers):

The trick is not to have the send / output channel assigned to the normal audio routing. On the EVO mixer there's a function called DAW THRU. When the send / output is set to DAW THRU, the whole system works as intended.

This won't mean much to anyone who doesn't use this particular piece of software, but I've put up a screenshot of the required routing.

N

Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 09.03.39 (3).jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for posting your solution, it may well be helpful to others. Indeed, the solution for these things is to really systematically follow and understand the routing - and there may well be software features that are routing the audio signal in ways you aren't aware of.

Glad you got to the bottom of it!

• Like 1