Advanced Tools making regions snap to slightly before the beat...

willmarlogic
Go to solution Solved by Atlas007,

This is something that has been driving me insane for so long that I just turn advanced tools on and off even though I would like to have it on all the time. 

When I turn on complete features/advanced tools, this happens almost every time I move a region. I'm trying to move it directly on the beat aligned to the grid, but with smart snap on, it consistently goes slightly before the division or beat. Snapping to bar/beat isn't flexible enough, but "smart" does this, refusing to sit right on the division. Snap settings plus a screen recording example included below, I'm not sure what I have wrong. Why is it doing this?

Snap settings.png

Edited by willmarlogic

12 hours ago, willmarlogic said:

Yes, both are making it snap slightly before the division 😕

Is your project start marker set to 1 1 1 1 ? Do you get the same behavior in a new empty project? 

8 hours ago, willmarlogic said:

Also just realized that many times when editing automation automation, it does a similar thing. Volume automation for example - it's at 5db and I want to raise a section to 7db. It will go directly from 6.9db to 7.1db, and won't let me use an even 7.0db unless I zoom in all the way to get exact decimals.

That's an unrelated issue, so to avoid confusion, do start a new topic if you need help with the adjustment of automation values. 

14 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Is your project start marker set to 1 1 1 1 ? Do you get the same behavior in a new empty project? 

That's an unrelated issue, so to avoid confusion, do start a new topic if you need help with the adjustment of automation values. 

yes to both questions 😕 and okay wasn't sure if both are from the snapping being messed up or not

On 9/6/2023 at 3:46 AM, David Nahmani said:

Can you attach a project here with a single region so that we can try to reproduce your issue? Or you can send the project via WeTransfer or Dropbox. 

Yep, I'll add two things that will hopefully help - the file I used as an example (multiple kicks snapped properly and then suddenly it starts doing the snapping right before or after the division) plus a screen recording of the issue in action.

kick won't snap properly.logicx.zip

2 hours ago, willmarlogic said:

Yep, I'll add two things that will hopefully help - the file I used as an example (multiple kicks snapped properly and then suddenly it starts doing the snapping right before or after the division) plus a screen recording of the issue in action.

kick won't snap properly.logicx.zip 320.95 kB · 1 download

In your screen capture, it looks like the snapping occurs to align to the transient rather than the region’s edge…

6 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

In your screen capture, it looks like the snapping occurs to align to the transient rather than the region’s edge…

1 hour ago, JakobP said:

Tried your project. Changed snap to absolut instead of relative and it works fine, just like @Atlas007 assumed...

okay y'all I swear I went back and forth between absolute and relative and still had the issue... let me see if it starts doing it again 🫣

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

19 hours ago, JakobP said:

Tried your project. Changed snap to absolut instead of relative and it works fine, just like @Atlas007 assumed...

Okay, so I just realized that the snap settings aren't global, and that's why I would keep getting the issue thinking I had changed it to absolute for every project!

2 hours ago, willmarlogic said:

Okay, so I just realized that the snap settings aren't global, and that's why I would keep getting the issue thinking I had changed it to absolute for every project!

To make the way this works in Logic more confusing (I really think there should be a better system for this) snap settings are per-Screenset. So you can save a template with your desired snap settings, but if you make a screenset it will also have its own saved snap setting. This was the source of much confusion when I started creating and editing screen sets.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sunbrother said:

To make the way this works in Logic more confusing (I really think there should be a better system for this) snap settings are per-Screenset. So you can save a template with your desired snap settings, but if you make a screenset it will also have its own saved snap setting. This was the source of much confusion when I started creating and editing screen sets.

That’s the price to pay for Logic’s versatility…

One can’t get both the butter and the money from it once sold…

As you have already mentioned, such a complex software requires a thoughtful workflow, and use of templates should be part of same.

Besides, IIRW, there is a key-modifier that can be used to temporarily disengage the snap or vice-versa.

• Like 1