Most efficient way to use different MIDI controllers for Same MainStage concert (MainStage Rig w back-lined keyboards on tour)

rev32

Good day. If this topic was addressed elsewhere on this forum I couldn't find it, if so, any help directing me to the proper post would be great. 

Here's the situation. I have my master MainStage concert, I'll be on tour in Europe and am at the mercy of the backline companies as to which keyboard controllers will be available to me. I've been using, when possible two (2) Yamaha Montage 88's. There is always the chance of the backline company providing anything from Motif XF, XS, ES or Nord Stages on a nightly basis. Now for the most basic controls, what I would normally do is when I arrive at soundcheck, open my MainStage concert in Layout mode and re-assign the two keyboards, mod & pitch wheel, sustain & expression pedals straight away. Does anyone have a more efficient way to deal with this scenario? I'm also aware that I could setup layouts for the various backlined keyboard controller scenarios and save these as layouts and import them on a nightly basis based on what keyboards I was going to have to use on a given night. Just wondering if any live/touring keyboardists might have a more efficient way of handling this scenario. Thanks in advance. 

With rented gear, you never really know in advance what you’ll get, one day you may end up with something crippled which will require unforeseen adaptation. Thus it becomes unrealistic and likely waste of time preparing in advance all the possible scenarios. And that, without accounting for the possibility to end up with corrupted concert file by multiplying their versions (statistically speaking).

IMHO, there is no workaround, you would have to take the time to setup your gig before hand and I would consider planning back up…

Understood. Correct me if I'm wrong... If I'm using a 2x2 Midi interface and midi cables as opposed to USB outs of the keyboards, wouldn't that go a long to alleviate a bunch of the re-mapping since MainStage is only recognizing the Midi input ports of the interface as opposed to trying to remap specific different keyboards via USB-midi? This also assumes I'm only using the physical keyboards and their associated pitch bend, mod wheel, sustain and expression connections. It's a jazz-fusion gig with just basic Rhodes, B3, Piano and a few synth lead sounds

Edited by rev32

On 9/9/2023 at 7:39 PM, rev32 said:

Does anyone have a more efficient way to deal with this scenario?

Yes, by using one "level of indirection". It's a bit tricky to set up but works very well afterwards.

For this we need one IAC bus; I typically use a specific one.

First, create for each of your (potential) keyboards a "MIDI Activity" control in Layout mode; I'm doing this for just one keyboard. This control will be used to connect the keyboard (in my case: MT4, port 1; and I've called it "virtual port").

Bildschirmfoto2023-09-11um16_15_12.thumb.jpg.65a8fb3b83fdcbda68eb490fcc22cf02.jpg

Next, create on the Concert level an "External Instrument" strip (you'll get asked if this is what you want. Yes, you do.). Assign as input the "MIDI activity" control (in my case "virtual port") and as output an IAC bus (in my case: "Bus 1 IAC Driver").

Bildschirmfoto2023-09-11um16_20_09.thumb.jpg.ad4dd3fd2659912c6592b135176fc4db.jpg

Now go back to Layout mode.

Assign your keyboard and all your screen controls to that IAC bus (in my case: "Bus 1 IAC Driver") and give the keyboard a unique name (upper/lower keys or whatever you see fit).

Bildschirmfoto2023-09-11um16_26_40.thumb.jpg.735978154f864adc4fbfe0351ff17212.jpg

From now on, use this keyboard for your presets, like this:

Bildschirmfoto2023-09-11um16_30_27.thumb.jpg.ad5a3c91782fb7cefd873929023726b8.jpgNow, if you need to change your MIDI input you can simply assign the new input to the "MIDI activity" control:

Bildschirmfoto2023-09-11um16_34_48.thumb.jpg.21d0a3c35c2b34dfc65f616a7197a727.jpg

In my case it's an M-Audio Keystation connected via USB.

All your screen controls will now automatically use the Keystation; and since your Presets use your screen controls you should be good to go.

The whole thing works very well on my side; however I understand that it can be a bit tricky to wrap one's head around this. I like the self-contained nature of this approach.

• Like 1