Project crashing on open

JoshJ

For one, I would try cold rebooting your Mac.

Then safe-boot Logic using one of the methods described here.

It is possible got bloated by the number of undos set, the alternatives and backups it encompass or other audio files. Your project then might also benefit from clean up.

If the above fails to solve your issue, chances are that you will need to rebuild the project by importing data from it into a fresh new project file (in that case avoid using an existing template).

• Like 2

@Atlas007 thanks for the links. I uninstalled my Waves plugins and managed to get the project to load ok. Have yet to reinstall them but my project does have a few Waves plugins in it. 

However now I'm running into another issue. When I load the project there is no sound (can see track meters moving but not master fader meter). I have to reset my Output device to MacBook Pro speakers (input to nothing) and then all the plugins in my project deactivate and I can hear sound, at least until the plugins reactivate. Do you have any ideas? Trying to avoid rebuilding project as it's a large one and don't have the time atm. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 1:50 PM, JoshJ said:

I noticed the project file is 10GB. not sure how it got that large as wasnt in the beginning and not copied a lot of audio tracks. 

Control-click the project file and choose Show Package Content, see if there are a lot of large files inside? Like audio files perhaps? You can press Option-Command-I to keep a floating Info window open while you select different folders or files inside the project package to see which ones are biggest. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Control-click the project file and choose Show Package Content, see if there are a lot of large files inside? Like audio files perhaps? You can press Option-Command-I to keep a floating Info window open while you select different folders or files inside the project package to see which ones are biggest. 

Actually there are 70 audio files 40-80mb each. That'll explain it. Didn't realise it was such are big project. Thanks anyway. Will know where to check next time. 

Do you happen to have any idea about the issue re lack of sound when I open the project?

@Atlas007 I managed to get the project working OK by opening without Core Audio switched on (press and hold ctrl after startup), and then turning core audio back on once the project has opened. But when I try and open the project normally it gets to the end of the loading bar then freezes (get the wheel of death). Any idea what the problem might be and where I can go from here? There are a number of plugins in the project which now arent installed on my new machine and show an alert on startup. Would this have anything to do with the issue?

5 hours ago, JoshJ said:

There are a number of plugins in the project which now arent installed on my new machine and show an alert on startup. Would this have anything to do with the issue?

Could well be. I would save a copy of the project, and in the copy, remove all those plug-ins from the Mixer until you no longer get an alert on startup. See if that copy of the project now behaves? 

• Like 1