Logic Pro and Audio Interface - rackmount

aVancouver

I was using MOTU 8A with Logic Pro and loved it. I sent it in to get repair and they killed the unit it will not work anymore. It just turns on in the firmware mode and will not go into operational mode. I am lost, I really love that audio interface with Logic Pro. I can't replace it because of the chip shortage which means it could be up to 6 months before the MOTU 8A is stocked again. I am looking for feedback and suggestion, because I just want an A/D D/A conversion I really don't want a bunch of knobs, reverb, compression in the unit. I use it with the 500 series and would love a rackmount suggestion if you have one or anything that you feel I should look at no matter what's part of the unit please give me your feedback and suggestions. I could wait for 6 months and use something temporary. Thanks in advance https://motu.com/products/avb/8a

5 hours ago, aVancouver said:

It just turns on in the firmware mode and will not go into operational mode.

Have you updated the firmware (network connection required AFAIK), or tried a factory reset on the unit?

In general terms, if a device boots in firmware (required) mode, it indicates that it's a "dumb" unit....i.e. it needs firmware to do something.
Follow this:
https://motu.com/avb/avb-firmware-updates

Assuming the system actually has firmware installed, the reset is in the System menu....use the Select knob to find Factory Reset, then press the Select knob once (or twice?).

I would buy a used MOTU 8A. As far as I know, MOTU doesn’t actually do any repairs since 2020 or so. They just send a new one, and the QC process lets a ton of bad ones through from what other users have told me. I know a few MOTU users and we’ve all had to try a few before getting a working one.

So the last time I hit this issue with MOTU, I just bought a used 8A for the delay until I could get a warranty replacement unit delivered.

My current 8A is quite old, but the nice thing is their units seem to stay working well if they don’t die within six months.