Logic won't open just crashes

lewisinkpress

Here is the situation.

Logic was working great.

Went in and updated NI app - and several instruments -- Komplete Kontrol was having an issue updating- have written NI.

Went today to work in Logic - crashes and crashes and crashes.

Went through all the apple suggestions. When I got to disconnecting external devices -  had some luck -- I keep all my libraries on an external ssd drive. When I disconnect that - I can open Logic - it doesn't crash.

Thought - Komplete Kontrol was causing issue - so removed it from the library - still having the issue.

Where to go next?  Thoughts?

thanks

Here is the link published be Apple to deal with Logic when it doesn’t work.

There are alternates ways to boot Logic, using modifier keys, when experiencing to boot it.

It seems obvious that the problem is related to Native Instrument plugins. I would uninstall everything from NI. I would then reset the Logic plugin cache file. Finally, I would reinstall NI plugins, gradually to check if Logic is ok with the new plugin. Tedious, admitedly… 

HTH

That doesn't really give much actionable intelligence, unfortunately.

You say it doesn't crash when your drive is connected, so have a look at what it might be loading from that. Also, try all the usual procedures - run in a different user account, run with core audio disabled, run with your plugins removed, run without loading your startup template, and so on, to see if you can find something that affects the behaviour...

So -- here is the update.

I tried to log in as a new user -- nothing - issued a crash report

I tried taking all of the items out of the components folder, in preparation to add them back in -- nothing - crash report.

I moved all of the components back in to see if that would allow me to open as a new user -- nothing - crash report.

I tried again as the regular user to get in (after returning everything to the components folder) and I could open a new file! 

I tried to go back to the file I was working on when it suddenly quit -- and I got back in??~?~?

Any thoughts?

UPDATE:

So I went back to the apple website and went through all of the suggestions,  Finally landing on re-installing Logic -- it seems to be working -- however I did this before and it worked for a bit -- so not really sure where this leaves me -- I guess I'll use till it stops working... Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I had the experience that a "routine update" to the Sound Library suddenly caused Logic to crash on startup.  The problem persisted until I finally threw away and reinstalled the entire library – a process that took more than 24 hours.

Obviously, I complained to Apple that Logic should never "crash hard."  And certainly that it should not do so while reading an external library.  Programmers have good facilities to "catch" such so-called "exceptions" so that they do not percolate all the way up to the operating system and thus crash the entire program.  But apparently there are "holes" like this where Logic does not now do that properly.

To any good programmer, the most disgraceful thing that your program can ever do is to "crash ignominiously, and just sit there and burn."