B3 Vintage Organ presets

Is it me, or are there fewer presets for the Vintage B3 in 10.7 than back in v9?  Any custom presets I saved are still there and work fine, it just seems some of the factory presets are gone or have changed name.

Other than 3rd party for sale presets, has anybody come across free presets for the vintage organ?

13 minutes ago, gacki said:

And yes, there were lots and lots of presets. Over 100, I think.

I wonder why and when Apple removed them?

Fortunately, any presets I tweaked, I saved with a new name (only about 6).  It’s not a big deal, if you’ve played a B3 it’s easy to adjust the draw bars and basic features, but the EVB3 or Vintage Organ - yes they are the same - offers more configurable parameters, effects, and options for the Leslie rotation than a real B3 and Leslie.  It’s really very good, and always has been.  One of the best, if not the BEST, I’ve found.

17 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

IIRW, the Vintage B3 and the EVB3 are discrete plugins in Logic Pro… I’ll check that tonight.

No, the Vintage B3 replaced the EVB3.

I have about 30 or 40 Logic presets for the B3 - is that not enough? I mean, there's only so much you can get out of an organ sound, and then you can tweak the tonality and behaviour a little to taste of the presets that work best for you. I'm not sure anyone really needs 200 completely unique B3 presets...

Edited by des99

Spoke to Apple.  Confirmed there were more presets prior to 10.5 (I think).  Apple suggested if you have an old install, the original 75-100 might be there.  Copy them. Gonna check a 2014 MacBook Pro I still have kicking around.

when I got my M1 Max 2 years ago, I did a fresh install then selectively move assets.

I had a look at my old content listings from the LP9 days, and yes, there were a whole bunch of EVB3  plugin settings. I'm guessing they were old settings from LP8/9 days, and legacy settings from the LP7 days.

./Library/Application Support/Logic/Plug-In Settings/EVB3:
#default.pst
01 Clean Organ - Dry
02 Clean Organ - Reverb
03 Distorted Organ - Dry
04 Distorted Organ - Reverb
05 Other Simulations

./Library/Application Support/Logic/Plug-In Settings/EVB3/01 Clean Organ - Dry:
60's Rock Organ.pst
Back to Oakland.pst
Ballad Organ.pst
Blues Organ.pst
Classic Tonewheel.pst
Clean Reggae.pst
Deep Soul Organ.pst
God Bless.pst
Golden Gate Legend.pst
House Bass.pst
Love'n Organ.pst
More and More.pst
Percussive Blues Organ.pst
Sweet Blues.pst
True Jazz Split.pst
Very Happy.pst

./Library/Application Support/Logic/Plug-In Settings/EVB3/02 Clean Organ - Reverb:
60's Blues.pst
60's Jazz Funk.pst
60's Pop Organ.pst
70's Pop Organ.pst
Afro Jazz Organ.pst
Bossa Organ.pst
British Rock Organ.pst
California Organ.pst
Cathedral - Full.pst
Cathedral - Soft.pst
Classic Jazz 01.pst
Classic Jazz 02.pst
Classic Jazz 03.pst
Classic Jazz 04.pst
Classic Jazz 05.pst
Clean Solo Organ.pst
Deep Jazz.pst
Diapason.pst
Dream Celestra Organ.pst
Fat Leslie Organ.pst
Flute Registers.pst
Funk Organ.pst
Gospel Organ.pst
Latin Rock Organ Clean.pst
Soft Jazz Organ.pst
Soft Percussive Organ 01.pst
Soft Percussive Organ 02.pst
Soul Organ 01.pst
Soul Organ 02.pst
Theater Inharmonic.pst
Theater Organ.pst
Vintage Pop Organ 01.pst
Vintage Pop Organ 02.pst

./Library/Application Support/Logic/Plug-In Settings/EVB3/03 Distorted Organ - Dry:
60's Classic Rock Organ.pst
Classic Rock Organ 01.pst
Hard Rock Organ 01.pst
Hard Rock Organ 02.pst
Hard Rock Organ 03.pst
Latin Rock Organ 01.pst
Latin Rock Organ 02.pst
Latin Rock Organ 03.pst
Moody Rock Organ.pst
Pop Rock Organ 01.pst
Pop Rock Organ 02.pst

./Library/Application Support/Logic/Plug-In Settings/EVB3/04 Distorted Organ - Reverb:
60's Dirty Pop Organ.pst
70's Dirty Latin Organ.pst
Brazilian Organ.pst
Classic Rock Organ 02.pst
Dirty Reggae Organ.pst
Distorted Morph Organ.pst
Hard Jazz Organ.pst
Heavy Pop Organ.pst
Moody Pop Organ.pst
Overdrive Organ.pst
Rock Church Organ.pst
Rock Solo Organ.pst
Space Rock Organ.pst
Vintage Tube Organ.pst

./Library/Application Support/Logic/Plug-In Settings/EVB3/05 Other Simulations:
60's Organ 01.pst
60's Organ 02.pst
Cheesy Organs.pst
Continental Leslie.pst
Continental Wah-Wah.pst
Home Organ.pst
Living Room Organ.pst

Edit: Actually, yes I do still have them... I can zip them up if you want... They do work fine in the Vintage B3.

Here you go:

EVB3 Legacy.zip

Put them in ~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Plug-In Settings/Vintage B3/

It's about 225 presets. Fill yer boots!

Edited by des99
  • Love 1

Sure, there's all kinds of old Logic content that isn't in Logic anymore - lots of stuff in LP7, including a whole bunch of Space Designer impulses, lots of stuff from Logic Studio, including things like the Soundtrack Pro content. If you graduated through those old versions, you can keep and still use it all, but it doesn't all still come with current versions of Logic.

6 hours ago, Nunstummy said:

I found a small presets co. selling the full set of presets for $14.99.  That doesn’t seem right.

Scammers gonna scam, unfortunately.

There was a time when Emagic even put the initials of the person having done the preset in the name...

At least one of my EVD6 presets is still in the current release (I think).

I also noticed that over time the preset names occasionaly got more "generic" (so to speak). With the EVB3 the presets originally were often referencing specific songs they were modeled after.

All this can be pretty unnerving. I once somehow damaged a Mainstage concert (the usual thing: having accidentally two concerts open at the same time) and the ES2 preset was clearly playing a different sound than intended. Problem was: That preset was nowhere to be found among the current presets, and neither did Spotlight find anything. In the end it was buried somewhere in Library/Application Support/Logic/Plug-in Settings/ES2/14 ES2 Legacy/Lead Synths Bank B...

• Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 6:22 PM, gacki said:

also noticed that over time the preset names occasionaly got more "generic" (so to speak).

Yep.  Minor changes to preset names show up.

I suppose to be safe, we should re-save any presets we’re proud of, or want to re-use.  Relying on Apple to keep consistent preset names and definitions over time is a mistake.

Some good presets - suddenly remembered!

Preston Organ

Living Room Organ

60's Blues

Funk Organ - almost full stops!

Wheel-Wah Clean

Soul Organ 1

J.Smith 3

Until I played with some of these presets, I had forgotten just how diverse the Vintage B3 can sound - these preset names came back to me.  What else is cool, is that many presets are named after famous organist, and some have "ToP" for Tower of Power and Chester Thompson!  Seems crazy Apple would drop these presets.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nunstummy said:

Some good presets - suddenly remembered!

Preston Organ

Living Room Organ

60's Blues

Funk Organ - almost full stops!

Wheel-Wah Clean

Soul Organ 1

J.Smith 3

Until I played with some of these presets, I had forgotten just how diverse the Vintage B3 can sound - these preset names came back to me.  What else is cool, is that many presets are named after famous organist, and some have "ToP" for Tower of Power and Chester Thompson!  Seems crazy Apple would drop these presets.

Perhaps a matter of royalty?

41 minutes ago, Nunstummy said:

Until I played with some of these presets, I had forgotten just how diverse the Vintage B3 can sound

There are some good B3 organ emulations out there, but having tried most of them I stuck to Logic's for a long time. It's only recently that I picked up UA's B3 and preferred it, it feels a little more alive, organic and "in the room" to me, but it's a small thing. Otherwise Logic's B3 is pretty great, and certainly does the job...