Scaling automation question

CHKComposer
Go to solution Solved by Atlas007,

To scale automation I've always just simply just selected the automation I want to scale and clicked some where in the background of the Automation/MIDI area of the piano roll (or in the track when showing automation curves) and moved my mouse up or down to scale. A few months ago I noticed I can not scale down if the automation selected contains a "-∞" or "0" value. The same seems to be true the opposite way (can not scale up) if there is a +6dB or 127 value. Am I crazy? or was this always the case? It can't have been. Is this a bug? Some preference I inadvertently selected? I've looked and can't find anything. I've finally gotten annoyed enough to ask here.  Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

Just a hunch, have you tried to use a modifier key (or combination of) while moving the mouse. (Cmd, Opt, Shift, Alt)

Well...I thought I had. But I just went through everything. Shift-Option while dragging seems to do the trick!  Thank you!

Any idea why this changed? I'm using the same key command set on my new and old machine. I don't see anything documented where this was changed at some point. I'd prefer it to just always work this way (without any additional keys pressed), but thankful your post allowed me to discover the key command that allows it. Thank you!

Welp. Of course now when I look, I see this note in the release notes for 10.7.8 (However, I find on my system I need to press "Shift-Option" to override this feature in the Automation/MIDI area of piano roll or in a track showing the automation curve, holding just the option key seems to prevent any scaling from happening. And to make things more confusing, holding only Option over the numerical number in the Track Header does override the the behavior):

ScreenShot2023-11-05at3_16_25PM.png.3ada30a7890e24a7e4852125144df56e.png

Edited by CHKComposer
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, polanoid said:

This has been discussed in another thread recently. See here e.g. 

Thanks! I searched here, but didn't use the right terms for that discussion to come up I guess. However, still the description in the notes for 10.7.8 update is incorrect. I have to hit "Shift-Option" to override the "new" behavior for scaling a range of automation points by dragging in the background of the automation display. While hitting only the option key while dragging does override the behavior when using the numerical display in the track header to adjust.