Best PC based home recording bundles for guitarists new to home recording?

My guitarist friend wants to start sending me riffs and demos so we can write together from across the country. However, he will only use PC computers to do this. I need some suggestions from guitarists that also use DAWs other than Logic that might shed some light on this matter. He is starting from nothing other than a few guitars and amps, and a PC laptop. I don't know what laptop he has and I don't know what his budget is, but he's got money lol. I've seen many other guitarists that use Focurite interfaces with Reaper. Something about the optical outs and/or SPDIF's I think.

My drummer forum suggested Studio One because "they've made it so a user can "bundle" all the assets into a common file format that can be opened in Pro Tools, Logic and Studio One"....although I'm yet to see this feature with my own eyes and therefore find it suspect.

Anyways, those Focusrite recording bundles look pretty good to me, and like I said, they are popular and also very affordable, but I'm a drummer and therefore have different needs than a guitarist.

Thanks for any tips in advance.

19 hours ago, rAC said:

Maybe you could ask someone on the drummer forum to send you a couple of these bundles and see if you can open them without issue in Logic?

Good idea. The dude that suggested that to me said he's never done it before but maybe I can convince him to send a Studio One project of his to me. Thanks. 😎

Audio files are audio files.

Read up on embedded timecode, Logic can read and write it - if both DAWs have the same timecode the recordings snap right into place on either one. At least Logic has the function to "Move to recorded position", I know ProTools does too, probably Reaper as well, the others I don't know. Ableton Live can not do it AFAIK.

Create and export a MIDI file with 1 note starting at 1 1 1 1 and holding past the end of your piece. That will embed both tempo (and tempochanges if any) and timecode. Share that one between you guys and use it to create an "import project" - then use that to import your material into your regular piece.

Or your guitarist friend just records and bounces every recorded track so that it starts at the exact same position with all the silence at the beginning. Silence compresses down pretty well so the files won't be much bigger to transfer...

• Like 2

Well, in case anyone is interested in working between Logic and Studio One, someone sent me a Studio One Project (as an AAF file) and the audio tracks and track names showed up perfectly. The bpm, song key, arrangement markers, and end marker did not. I'm pretty sure the tasks that didn't transfer over have to be sent separately via MIDI which is why it didn't work for me.

Here's a link on info for transferring a Studio One project to Pro Tools for reference. Hope this helps someone.

https://marcus-huyskens-music.com/mh-music-blog/work-flow-tip-transferring-your-studio-one-to-pro-tools-in-minutes

Edited by Totigerus
spelling error

The downside with AAF transfer is duplicate data with different file names. The OCD and the person responsible for backups in me totally hates that, but actually it probably doesn't make a difference and I'm a bit old-farty in that regard...

Yes - most other data can be transferred over using MIDI export and import...

Edited by wonshu
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 1:16 AM, Totigerus said:

The dude that suggested that to me said he's never done it before

This sums up the culture of so many forums out there, it's frightening...

The downside with AAF transfer is duplicate data with different file names.

Not only that. AAF does not know the concept of stereo, so you get two mono files. And to make that even worse, Logic boldly lays both mono Regions onto the same mono Track, so you only hear one stereo side of that stereo recording.

Yes, bpm or even a tempo map are not part of the AAF parameter set. Just positions of audio regions and fades in (SMPTE) time.

Edited by fuzzfilth
  • Like 1