[bug]?? 10.8 Recording MIDI doubles up the notes.

mattrixx

which exact instruments is it happening with?  It appears there are a lot of people using Komplete complaining about it.  it appears that something is sending midi out from AU2 instruments to an IAC virtual midi port.  It's not clear to me if Logic 10.8 is doing it or Komplete is doing it.  i agree it's a bug. The work around as I understand it is to go into environment, recable the input instead of from ALL use only the specific midi controller you want to use so that IAC won't feed in for recording.

There are some threads about this on NI forums and some people think this is a new hidden midi feature of 10.8 but I think its a bug personally.

59 minutes ago, Dewdman42 said:

it appears that something is sending midi out from AU2 instruments to an IAC virtual midi port.

Nope, the AU output traffic is not going out of Logic via any IAC or other virtual MIDI port - it's going directly to Logic's input object in the Environment (and not from any virtual MIDI port).

That AU-generated traffic is entirely internal to Logic.

4 minutes ago, Dewdman42 said:

that's interesting, but its also still a problem.  even bigger problem then because I can't see any way to block it right now.

You have to not use the "Sum" output cable from the input object, but instead cable your input devices to the sequencer input directly (as you mentioned above). The extra traffic only gets output from the Sum cable.

But you're not on 10.8, correct? Why would you need to block it, if it's not happening for you?

Edited by des99

I don't know why you're answering me I was trying to help someone else Des, without the luxury of having 10.8 to try anything with.  Sounds like you can help them then yes?

By the way, if the cable node appears on the input object, what makes you think it's not a virtual midi port created by LogicPro, it almost certainly is, but makes little difference.  Did you check some other apps such as midi monitor to see if that node shows up there?  Just kind of curious.  But I agree, the way to work around is using Sum, presuming that one of the other nodes showing is the one from the one from Apple's AU2 instrument channel(s).   Did you actually test this to make sure it works?

if you can share some screen grabs for all of us it would be helpful. thanks.

8 minutes ago, Dewdman42 said:

I don't know why you're answering me I was trying to help someone else Des, without the luxury of having 10.8 to try anything with.

I was responding to your statement of "I can't find any way to block this"... just confused me a little is all...

By the way, if the cable node appears on the input object, what makes you think it's not a virtual midi port created by LogicPro, it almost certainly is, but makes little difference.

Because I've been testing this here, and watching all the system MIDI traffic. The MIDI traffic is not external to Logic. It doesn't use the Logic Virtual In/Out either.

Did you check some other apps such as midi monitor to see if that node shows up there?

Yes, this is what I was explaining by "the traffic stays internal to Logic".

presuming that one of the other nodes showing is the one from the one from Apple's AU2 instrument channel(s)

It's not - like I said above, this traffic *only* emerges from the Sum output - not any other cable outputs.

Did you actually test this to make sure it works?

Yes, I have been testing to understand the new behaviour myself, and I was sharing the results of what I'd found so far...

It seems... a weird implementation, making me think it's possibly a feature that is unfinished that accidentally made it into this release (hence no documentation either).

Edited by des99

Here's a question for you.  Even though we don't see a new virtual midi port show up on the clicks and ports page, even if internal to logicPro...  does anything show up on the midi input port selector for track attributes?  In other words, we don't see that in here, but using the new way to select midi input port for a track by track basis, does anything show up there so that you can potentially record the output from an AUi to another track?  I doubt it, but just asking.

12 minutes ago, Dewdman42 said:

Even though we don't see a new virtual midi port show up on the clicks and ports page, even if internal to logicPro...  does anything show up on the midi input port selector for track attributes?

No - the input port selector lists the available MIDI inputs on the system, but as we've established, the AU-generated traffic doesn't "arrive" into Logic via those input ports (it just shows up in the Input object via some unknown internal mechanism), and same if you choose them for another track - no MIDI traffic turns up there, and it can't be recorded to a track, whatever inputs you choose (or leave it all All, for that matter).

It really feels like an unfinished WIP feature, to me. Unless we're all missing something really obvious... and why not document it in the new features list, as it's quite a notable feature, unless it wasn't meant to be there yet.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1