Naming of MIDI chords in midi monitor very strange

winip

I'm not sure if this just changed recently. In the midi monitor when I play a C chord on a keyboard it shows up as C as expected. However, when I play a G chord (no matter the inversion) it's called "Cmaj7sus2". F in the root position is called "Cno3 6/11" This strange naming continues for almost any chord I play (A becomes C6b9) etc. I'm quite sure that this has not always been the case. 

Not sure if there may be a setting that has changed at some time.

Thanks

Edited by winip

Thank you for the reply David. 

When I play any note on the keyboard it is correctly identified in the MIDI activity part of the Control Bar. However, the problem is only in the identification of the chord. I just tried the Musical Keyboard and the results were the same G+J+L comes up as "Cmaj7sus2". So it's as if a C note has been added to a G chord (which would be in keeping with what is shown). 

Pretty much every chord that I play comes up as some form of a C chord. However, a few of them such as an F chord in the first inversion is correctly identified as F. Or if I play an A chord in the root position it is called "A#9". Just really weird.

Thank you again David.

I bypassed all control surfaces but the results are still the same.

I just went and tried the same thing on my Studio computer. On that computer everything is working perfectly and chords are notated exactly as they should be. So it's only on the MacBook Pro that this is a problem.

Both computers are 2019 Intel computers running OS Sonoma. Just updated my signature by the way.

I realize that the fact that Logic has no Chord Track makes the whole thing a moot point, but a stupid little glitch like this just kinda bugs me.

Edited by winip

Hi
This problem is connected with the double notes new bug in Logic 10.8
Probably you are using instrument that sends MIDI out.
Try with one of Logic's Instruments.
Another option is to disconnect the Sum bus in the Environment and connect each MIDI bus separately.
Hope it helps

• Like 2

I'm not familiar with the double notes bug. On the laptop I'm just using a little LaunchKey to input. 

I tried the same controller just now in Cubase 13 and Studio One and it's working as it should.

Also, in Logic the notes being played input into whatever AU instrument work as they should. The problem is solely to do with the display in the MIDI monitor

Thank you David and Benco. 

I followed the directions but still have the same problem on the laptop. When I'm recording the display shows the accumulation of all of the notes that I play. However, as I'm playing there is nothing being doubled, and when I stop recording the piano roll shows only what I played. Weird for sure, but in the end just a nuisance to look at.