How to monitor or limit headphone levels for healthy ears?

Hi,

When I'm recording vocals I find that I can't hear if I did my take correctly unless I listen at full volume. As a result I'm turning up my headphones way too loud and recently I started getting a little bit of ringing. (I think it will go away it's just a warning this time). 

For monitors I use a dB meter but for headphones it's more tricky. Is there some way I could limit the actual sound of the headphones so it can never go above 85db? That would save me for sure

How do you guys go about this? I would love a long career with healthy ears (I'm 21)

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by Matt3000

• Matt3000 changed the title to How to monitor or limit headphone levels for healthy ears?
8 hours ago, Matt3000 said:

When I'm recording vocals I find that I can't hear if I did my take correctly unless I listen at full volume.

Check the Independent monitoring level for record-enabled setting for proper adjustment and/or there is a problem with your mic / gain staging to be solved asap because not every earing acquired impairment or damage resolves… 

use low pass filter to get rid of those high frequencies you can't hear anyways. i always put one in to save the hears!!

i'm sure it's the low pass filter (and not the high pass) that cuts out the high frequencies, you can adjust it to the lowest you can handle before it affects your session. i usually set it at 4kHz

tones up guitar distortion nicely too

but yeah definately, especially if your using monitor head phones cuz they aim to be a reference and try to include everything that comes out of the socket unfiltered by design