Logic Pro 10.8.1 update released

EverVale
Message added by David Nahmani,

For the previous thread on the Logic Pro 10.8 release, see: 

15 hours ago, olavsu1 said:

I bought the logicpro, installed it.  it works fine first time.

Everything was fine, I moved the sound library to another hard drive and the Logic pro no longer starts.

the program seems to run but the window does not open.

in report i see that:

Event:            hang
Duration:         467.97s
Duration Sampled: 1.10s (process was unresponsive for 467 seconds before sampling)
Steps:            11 (100ms sampling interval)

After deleting  logic .plist files i get it run.  now it repairs sound library.

How did you move the Sound Library? What format is the drive you moved it to?

1 hour ago, olavsu1 said:

Target disk is 14TB ExFAT  (I want it to be readable/writable also in the windows environment).

You should not use non-Mac filesystems for Mac stuff, for a number of reasons. In the case of Logic's sample library, you might get away with it because it doesn't require Mac-specific filesystem functions in the main, but streaming from it may give issues. Recording audio to non-Mac filesystems is usually problematic too.

As you don't need Logic's factory content to be writable because you won't be changing it (it's preset content), I'd recommend splitting the drive into a Mac volume, and a Win volume, keep the factory Logic content on that, and anything you need to actually read/write/edit on the other volume if necessary.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, des99 said:

As you don't need Logic's factory content to be writable because you won't be changing it (it's preset content), I'd recommend splitting the drive into a Mac volume, and a Win volume, keep the factory Logic content on that, and anything you need to actually read/write/edit on the other volume if necessary.

thanks, but I'm not going around anymore.

I don't record music there, it's just data storage.
and so far there has never been a problem that this disk is ExFAT.

moreover, removable disks can be kept in the format they were set to be at the factory.

Edited by olavsu1

1 hour ago, olavsu1 said:

and so far there has never been a problem that this disk is ExFAT.

Great - having been here years, I've seen many people with all kinds of problems using Windows filesystems for Mac stuff. It's up to you whether you want to take that advice, but at least you're aware that it could be problematic (depending on your use cases), and should it become so, what you'd need to do to sort it out. 👍

• Like 4

There can be very serious consequences associated with a non-compatible disk format, including data loss. The only disk formats compatible with Logic Pro are macOS Extended and APFS.

Follow these guidelines when configuring your system for use with Logic Pro: (...) Format hard disks, flash drives or other storage devices used with Logic Pro in the APFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format.

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/108295

• Like 2

The application software does not care what format the disk is and does not need to know. Disks are handled by the operating system, not the application software. I consider the best operating system to be the one, that manages all the most common disk formats "out of box" without ruining the user.

10 minutes ago, olavsu1 said:

The application software does not care what format the disk is and does not need to know. Disks are handled by the operating system, not the application software. I consider the best operating system to be the one, that manages all the most common disk formats "out of box" without ruining the user.

that's not true, sorry. as several people above have pointed out, logic does not play well with non-apple formats, and the OS can experience issues as well.

do what you want, but be aware of the risks.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, analogika said:

One potential issue is that exFAT pathnames are limited to 255 characters, total. 

MacOS Extended does 1024 characters. 

Also, the list of permissible characters in file-/folder names differs slightly. 

exFAT pathname limit:  32,760 Unicode characters with each path component no more than 255 characters

it is more than enough.

Edited by olavsu1

5 hours ago, olavsu1 said:

it is more than enough.

a) it is a potential issue, both because of the pathname length (say, custom samples in nested folders within nested folders, all named by complete source and process info for how the sample was created), and

b) because files and folder structures copied from a Mac formatted disk may not work properly, if exFAT refuses to work with filenames including characters that weren’t a problem when saving to Mac OS Extended disks. 

Simply waving it away as "more than enough" is a little problematic, when exFAT is explicitly not compatible with Logic libraries. 

Edited by analogika
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, olavsu1 said:

Let us know when you find that operating system, because the Mac does not and can not magically overcome the differences between various file system architectures. 

In fact, it even had to reformat its own boot drive to APFS a couple of macOS versions back because it could no longer work properly off Mac OS Extended. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, olavsu1 said:

operators are everywhere denied, in filenames.

Have fun trying this on exFAT: 
image.thumb.png.d6a04e3f980e92f2e52a61c0d09b1b22.png

(Incidentally, just moving that .mp3 file below into the test folder results in a 224-character file path — and that screenshot's at /Users/chris/Downloads/Grieg — Peer Gynt Morgenstimmung/
255 characters really isn't a lot…)

Edited by analogika
Reason: Tried more forbidden characters.
  • Like 1

Hej,

I just had to reinstall my MacBook and installed the last Logic version on it. Afterwards I recognised that some solo-shortcuts were suddenly different. Before updating I had the "old" shortcuts: contrl-s to solo a region, contrl-option-command-s to unsolo. Now it's a different thing: contrl-s is soloing the track and the region. option-s is unsolo. Didn't anyone notice this change?

Did hey change this with 10.8? Why?

Cheers

Jan

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 7:28 PM, analogika said:

Have fun trying this on exFAT: 
image.thumb.png.d6a04e3f980e92f2e52a61c0d09b1b22.png

(Incidentally, just moving that .mp3 file below into the test folder results in a 224-character file path — and that screenshot's at /Users/chris/Downloads/Grieg — Peer Gynt Morgenstimmung/
255 characters really isn't a lot…)

for example, we always bring some extremes that no one actually uses, unless there are testers whose goal is to break the system.

1 minute ago, olavsu1 said:

for example, we always bring some extremes that no one actually uses,

This forum is full of posts over the years of people having problems running Logic projects and audio off exFAT filesystems. We speak from experience in this regard, but you do you - if you have no problems for your use cases, then there's nothing to complain about.

• Like 2

Midi velocity adjustments are buggier for me than in 10.8. I have to go through exactly the following steps in order to change any midi velocities:

1. copy the track in question
  2. move the region in which I wish to change midi velocities to the new track
  3. unselect the new track
  4. reselect the new track
  5. -elect ALL of the notes in the region in the new track
  6. move the Velocity slider

And if I want to change those velocities again, I have to go through all of the above shenanigans all over again. 

Just now, des99 said:

What happens if you just open the desired region in the piano roll, select all the notes and use the velocity slider?

The same thing that happened in 10.8: the velocity slider doesn't work. I move the velocity slider with all notes selected, and it just bounces right back to where it was when I grabbed it.

7 hours ago, des99 said:

Did you copy over your preferences from your old machine to the new one?

No, I didn't. I started fresh and recognised the change later. I had to change the shortcuts back to the way I was used to. Not a big deal, but strange. Why change the default keystrokes?

Edited by jnchristp

7 hours ago, HillbillyLifestyle said:

I move the velocity slider with all notes selected, and it just bounces right back to where it was when I grabbed it.

Try holding down the Option key while dragging the velocity slider. 

9 minutes ago, jnchristp said:

Why change the default keystrokes?

Sometimes they change the default key commands to avoid incompatibilities with new macOS key commands... in this case I'm not sure exactly why they changed those key commands. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Try holding down the Option key while dragging the velocity slider. 

Sometimes they change the default key commands to avoid incompatibilities with new macOS key commands... in this case I'm not sure exactly why they changed those key commands. 

16 hours ago, des99 said:

What happens if you just open the desired region in the piano roll, select all the notes and use the velocity slider?

The option key trick worked, thanks!

Hey, another question: when I try to grab regions and move them back and forth in the main window, I frequently cannot place them where I want, because as I am dragging them around, the window itself is scrolling back and forth, so I inevitably put them in the wrong spot. Is there a way to tell the main window to just not automatically scroll? 

16 minutes ago, HillbillyLifestyle said:

The option key trick worked, thanks!

Ok, so in this case, if eg one or more of your selected notes is at velocity 127 (the maximum), you can’t drag the velocity slider up, because the notes can’t be turned up any more.

Same for dragging down if a note is already at 1.

Adding option lets the rest of the notes change even if some are at the extreme (which changes the velocity relationship of the selected notes).

So the behaviour you saw is the expected behaviour, based on the notes you had selected.

• Like 1