Using outboard analogue insert and plugins on the same signal chain

Cedric

Hi, I am a newbie to mixing with analogue gear.

Would anyone know why when I insert an analogue compressor with the I/O plugin I am unable to use any other plugins after it on the same signal chain?

As an exemple I insert the I/O plugin to compress my guitar track with my analogue compressor and it's all working fine but if I want to EQ it as well I need to insert my EQ plugin before the compressor in the signal chain for it to work. If I insert the EQ after the compressor on the signal chain the EQ remains ineffective....

Why is that? Am I missing something obvious?

There must be a way to add effect plugins after the I/O insert on the signal chain...surely.

Many thanks in advance.

Cedric

22 minutes ago, oscwilde said:

The I/O utility is designed for use on an Aux channel strip....rather than an insert.
You set it up as you would an external FX send/return on a hardware mixing console.
https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/logicpro/lgcef2d8c7d2/10.8/mac/13.5

Thank you, that's helpful.. So the analogue compressor would be used as a parallel compressor? A mix of the dry uncompressed signal with the wet compression coming from the aux... Is that right?

What if I want the signal to be fully wet?

22 hours ago, Cedric said:

What if I want the signal to be fully wet?

Cedric,  

The I/O utility plugin can be placed anywhere you want it to be. What basically happens is your signal is sent out of a mono/stereo output of your interface to analog gear and then sent back into the interface. It is up to you to decide which inputs and outputs to use.

You can insert plugins before and after the I/O plugin.  If it isn't working for you in this manner, please do not hesitate to ask for help. I am currently using a max of eight I/O plugins simultaneously in various combinations. 

1 hour ago, shivermetimbers said:

Cedric,  

The I/O utility plugin can be placed anywhere you want it to be. What basically happens is your signal is sent out of a mono/stereo output of your interface to analog gear and then sent back into the interface. It is up to you to decide which inputs and outputs to use.

You can insert plugins before and after the I/O plugin.  If it isn't working for you in this manner, please do not hesitate to ask for help. I am currently using a max of eight I/O plugins simultaneously in various combinations. 

Thank you that's what i thought but somehow it isn't working.  I will try a couple more things on Monday when I am back at the studio. If I find what is causing the problem I will post it here. Otherwise I will post some  screen shot to see if you can spot what I am missing. Thank you for your help, very much appreciated.

On 12/1/2023 at 9:53 PM, shivermetimbers said:

Cedric,  

Ok so it seems the problem was caused by the Apogee Duet interface ( or my inability to set it up properly). I used a different interface and I didn't have any of these problems. It worked  perfectly. I still would like to get to the bottom of it though.

So if anyone is using the Apogee Duet with outboard gear I would love to know what I was doing wrong. That would be very much appreciated. I have attached some screenshot. ThanksScreenshot2023-12-06at17_25.08(2).thumb.png.001d9db5c66cd854235728228a67516c.pngScreenshot2023-12-07at18_45_20.thumb.png.71388366a5a2c6d7003dd15168c96a8f.pngScreenshot2023-12-06at17_25_28.thumb.png.3a9fa47ef5a0597abc7c7976d833160f.png