MIDI issue

nubie

I stopped using MIDI a few years back. I used it a couple of decades, but then everytime I want to start something I spend an hour at least trying to understand what is happening without finding the solution for something heavily simple. Most simple thing actually.
So I give up again etc etc. Though first I need to ask:
If you look at this, could you please tell what is the issue?
To me it is very weird.
I posted this and now I think I should have tried on another MIDI instrument than the Oberheim Matrix 1000. Though why would it play well from the Arturia sequencer and not from the DAW?

Edited by nubie

16 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

What happen if you lengthen the notes in the Piano Roll?

For the first note, make sure it is starting inside the region; otherwise, even if it start one tick before, although it will show inside the region, the note-on will not occur.

Making the notes longer or changing velocity does not change. I checked before asking here. ou can see on the video that a note that was playing earlier won't play again once another note is moved.

5 hours ago, gacki said:

Since this is using an external instrument my first guess would be that one voice of the instrument is misaligned or dead.

But all voices play when they are played by the midi sequencer. It's only in Logic that one note plays or not.

5 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

To confirm that this is not a Logic issue I would download and install Snoize MIDI Monitor (free utility), and see if when a specific MIDI Note does not sound, Logic is correctly outputing that MIDI note? If it is, then the issue is with your Oberheim Matrix 1000. 

I will check with Snoize.
Strange is that all works fine from the midi sequencer. I'll try with another synth and also I'll make a better video asap in better quality showing again the issue.

Edited by nubie

I was not able to track the MIDI note output from the DAW going into my Mio XL MIDI interface to the synth with Snoize, only notes that come into the DAW, but anyway, I tested with another synth than the Oberheim Matrix 1000 and with for instance the Waldor Pulse+ it works, all notes are played back by Logic. No issue.

It is only doing this with the Matrix 1000 😞
It is not logical to me that all notes of a sequence are played via the Beatstep Pro sequencer, but there's alway at least one note skipped when the same sequence is played back from Logic (or a note is played in Logic via keys). As soon as I move one note up or down, then it's another note that will skip and the note that skipped earlier now works?!

I'll leave it here cause I can't see any solution to this.

11 minutes ago, nubie said:

was not able to track the MIDI note output from the DAW

Select "Spy on output to destinations". 

Oh well it sounds like you've found the culprit anyway. So then it sounds like @gacki may have been onto something? 

6 hours ago, gacki said:

Since this is using an external instrument my first guess would be that one voice of the instrument is misaligned or dead.

52 minutes ago, nubie said:

at least one note skipped when the same sequence is played back from Logic (or a note is played in Logic via keys). As soon as I move one note up or down, then it's another note that will skip and the note that skipped earlier now works?!

The Matrix 1000 has a MIDI Mono mode (for MIDI guitars, primarily).
Check that the Channel parameter is set to "on" (omni on/poly) or to a specific channel # (1 thru 16).
If any of the G 1-9 values is displayed/chosen, the unit is in a Mono mode....which could explain the weirdness.
Set it to "on" (omni on/poly mode).

• Like 1

I'd probably check by trying to play six notes simultaneously. If one isn't sounding it's pretty obvious - either it's a faulty voice or the scenario @oscwilde suggested.

Hardware synths back in the day sometimes had weird voice assignment routines in their firmware - for example if a note was repeated it was assigned the same voice. Other synths had a "round robin" approach. Similarly how voices were "stolen" if the number of available voices was exceeded - some synths simply didn't play any new notes while others "stole" starting from the bottom or from the first note.

• Like 2