Tools or resources for writing strings?

gmcerveny

What might be a good approach for a beginner to start writing for strings?

Should I just start by using the Logic Studio Instruments? 
https://support.apple.com/en-us/101920

Background: I have a composition / theory / piano teacher, but I'm on my own to figure out my own software / tools. I've had some success with Logic's notation view + stock piano instrument for my first compositions. Now I'm adding strings and not sure if this warrants a course / video / other resource for programming this. 

If there are any good resources, free or paid, I'd love to hear about them. For example, I utilized a logic notation short course to get started and that was very beneficial. 

33 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

For free stuff you. could google using queries like "writings realistic strings in a daw" or more specifically with Logic would be a good start.

Thanks for chiming in.

I spoke with my composition teacher a bit about this and we went over basic articulations. I think that, plus the logic manual might get me off the ground.

Probably wishful thinking, but was originally hoping that maybe there was a 60 minute video course out there that was like "Strings in Logic: Learn the basics of key switching, articulation, and a little bit of orchestration." 

Longer term, I've ordered The Technique of Orchestration by Kennan et al to get the proper foundation.

Resource wise, I still might add one of these to help speed things up:

I also found this tip here on the forum:

You should also be aware of MuseScore, which is an extremely good open-source "dedicated music scoring" program that runs on a variety of hardware platforms. Complementary to Logic's "Score Editor," this tool focuses on "symbols on the printed page." (The "MusicXML" file format is common to both programs.)

All I can say is that, when I "had money burning a hole in my pocket" and I was considering Finale and Sibelius ... I bought neither. (I am not a professional composer – I use these tools only for my own pleasure.)

(P.S.: There is also a ".com" sister-site, which hosts both free and by-subscription sheet music libraries.)

Edited by MikeRobinson
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MikeRobinson said:

You should also be aware of MuseScore, which is an extremely good open-source "dedicated music scoring" program that runs on a variety of hardware platforms.

Thanks! At some point, I think I'll likely need a dedicated notation program. For now, I'm trying to get as far as possible with Logic, which so far, hasn't let me down.