I accidentally erased some projects

Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Posted (edited)

Replying to David, no I don't have any back up but I will get an external storage and start using it.. Thanks for that tip!!... And Fisherking, I deleted them then emptied the trash!. I had saved these projects with working titles and when I mixed and bounced them I changed the name of the bounce/mix. Sooooo, I deleted the working titles thinking I was saving the bounced version, not realizing the bounced version WAS the working title also.....lame  I know!!...in trying to free up some space I deleted hours and hours of recording!

Edited by phil.fsbcglobal.net

You can always try searching this on the web:

"Is there any way to recover files that were put in the trash and then emptied on Mac"

I've heard there are ways to do it, so don't give up on a solution, there must be one.

• Solution
3 hours ago, onewave said:

"Is there any way to recover files that were put in the trash and then emptied on Mac"

3 hours ago, phil.fsbcglobal.net said:

Thanks one wave, its worth a try.

I wouldn't get my hopes up though. Most data retrieval tools can recover some data but chances that the data is actually useable are close to zero. Whatever data you can rescue will no longer be organized in files with extensions that are recognizable by an app or an OS, so that means your machine will not know what's a piece of a Logic project file or a piece of an audio file. 

Also keep in mind that when you empty your trash, your OS marks the locations where that data is as available for other apps and the OS itself which means that if you've continued using your Mac with that disk connected, chances are you've overwritten at least part of the data, especially if that disk is your system drive. 

• Like 5

Just get an external drive, make sure the enclosure has USB 3, I recommend the Samsung SSDs, since you're connecting externally you don't need the fastest M.2 NVME technology, you can get by with SATA, although prices have converged and are almost the same. 

Or buy a Samsung T7 - many people have good experiences with those, but I don't know the connectors.

If you do want to go with a harddrive instead of an SSD you should get one that runs at 7200rpm.

• Like 1