My keyboard just went bat-sh&t crazy ...

My keyboard is always stored under a plastic cover so that it won't get damaged (we have cats ...), but today the entire keyboard – perfectly clean – went "absolutely crazy."  Now, a full two-thirds of the keys do not play.  And, when I try to play an octave in a section that still works, the notes that come out are not only sometimes in the wrong octave, but actually play out of sequence!  There is no "electro-mechanical" explanation for this behavior. (But I can send a MIDI file through it and it plays perfectly.)

Has anyone else experienced a total failure such as this, and is there anything that I can now do other than to just throw the damned thing away?

KORG Kross-2. Used. No warranty.

Edited by MikeRobinson

Does the problem occur when using stand alone or only with Logic. In the latter case, I would try disabling all controller (Choose Logic Pro > Preferences > Control Surfaces > Bypass all Control Surfaces.). If that solves your issue, consider resetting your Logic control pref file.

In the former case, I would try resetting the Korg Kross-2 as explained here, or if you are more adventurous (or desperate) as the above didn’t help) this one.

Warning: I never owned a Kross-2, thus never attempted the above…

Posted (edited)

This "total and complete hardware failure" has nothing to do with Logic.  I turn the machine on this morning to continue with my project, "just like yesterday," and this is what it presents me.  It's like the main CPU has completely forgotten how to communicate with the keyboard.  (I cannot imagine that the keyboard hardware itself could do something as bizarre as this, no matter what you poured into it.)

Edited by MikeRobinson

I admit that I failed to notice your “reset instructions” in your original reply but I will soon try them. I’m pretty sure that I don’t need to dismantle the keyboard assembly because what I’m seeing makes no “physical” sense: random blocks of dead keys scattered among those that work, and keys that don’t play the right notes. This must be some kind of software problem, and a “magic three-finger reset” sequence might help somehow. I’ll let you know.

• Like 1

Yeah these devices are computer disguised into something else and it’s notorious that computers are crazy things used by sensible entities (us)…

or perhaps it’s the other way around…

…who knows?

I wonder what chatGPT think about all this?

🤭

Edited by Atlas007

That's a wierd one. I had an issue with my Novation that drove me nuts (even asked about it unsuccessfully, here). Any patch I chose from piano to synths came out all warbly, like it was underwater. I only copped on when I happened to glance at Logic's 'midi in' display, which was quavering at an indiscernable rate. Tapped the joystick a few times, and it would stop. This problem occurred after taking the damn thing apart to fix an unsounding note. Very fiddly for the inexperienced, and I guess the joystick wasn't exactly just so when it was re-assembled. It's started up again (we, too, have cats), so I'm buying a new controller.

I know that is entirely irrelevant to your problem….

Good luck! 

I have now begun to receive responses from several members of the Korg technical support team, and I will keep you posted.

"Yeah, this one is a weird one." I've had several other electronic keyboards "go south on me" before, but never in this way. (Never in such an "obviously software" way ...)