Distorted audio in Logic Pro while recording from Roland Fantom

Bjorn67
Go to solution Solved by JakobP,

I have used my Roland Fantom for recording audio for a couple of years. All of a sudden the audio recording gives a weak and distorted signal. I have checked the USB cables and adapters and all seem in order. Settings are the same as before, which have worked seamlessly so far...until now. Is there anyone who has an idea what the problem could be? All the related softwares and plugins have been updated, but did not solve the issue. 

macOS Sonoma 14.2.1, Logic Pro 10.8.1. , Roland driver Fantom Ver.1.0.4 for macOS Sonoma 14.x, Roland Fantom System update  ver 3.02. (I did notice something now called "FANTOM-6/FANTOM-7/FANTOM-8 Control Surface Plug-In for Logic" further down the list of updates. Could that be something? That one was released in 2022, and I have been recording without problem through 2022 and 2023... 

I am using USB B from the Roland and connecting to USB C on my Mac Pro. I have not tried the phone jack, not having a cable for it. But the direct outputs from the Roland are all fine, both Speakers and headphones. 

So only USB audio is causing probs, correct?

Direct USB-B to C cable rather than thru a hub/adaptor?

If thru a hub, is it powered....and is the hub PSU working properly/putting out enough juice?
I had a similar problem a couple of years back with a USB hub PSU that was "sorta" working....so lit up LEDs, etc. but wasn't supplying enough power to all ports.
This happened out of the blue after about 16-18 months....with everything working fine up to that point, and then it didn't.

Might be worth checking if applicable to your setup?

Thanks. It is a direct USB connection, which is how it normally is done with the Fantom. So I don't think the problem is in that setup. I should add that when I say the sound is distorted that it is a static noise, and only a few tones are discernible. There is a knob on the Roland that can adjust the USB output levels, but even with full throttle it does not reach a high level. Quite strange. 

I just tried to record using my USB microphone into Logic and it worked fine. It seems as two possibilities - either the USB port in the Roland mysteriously is damaged, or there are some software issues specifically relating to Roland and Logic. Have not seen anyone else posting a similar problem through...

The next thing to eliminate from the equation is Logic....
GarageBand or another DAW on your machine...even a demo or Lite version (I'm sure you have a Live lite version that you've received with your breakfast cereal at some point 😉) should expose whether the problem is likely to be the Roland or something specific in the communication between the Roland/Logic that has changed in some way.
From there, if this is the case, we need to reverse it.

If the noise persists with other DAWs, then Roland may be able to assist.

Hve you performed a full reset on the Fantom?
Obviously, back up all of your user settings/patches/performances, etc. before doing this:
Press MENU, select UTILITY and then select FACTORY RESET....then OK.

• Like 1

Thank you for your commitment to help. As for another DAW, I also tried Garageband and although it recognised being connected to the Fantom, the recording signal did not show up. The track control didn't allow me to adjust the recording volume as there was no signal. That also happened with my USB mic, so I would think it is a Garageband setting issue. So it did not make me wiser. 

I am not super keen on factory reset yet. I'll do it as a last resort. 

So I did further test to see the source of the problem. First of all, I was able to get a good signal into my GarageBand using the USB connection. I also connected an audio interface, instead of using the USB connection from the Roland,  using the main out and then connecting to my Mac Pro. And...The sound was still distorted.

So all this shows that there is no problem in the Roland Fantom or with its USB port, nor with its updated driver.  It also shows that the problem lies within the Logic Pro, as Garageband works fine. So I am back to square one, but at least the source of the problem is. So anyone....if you have any further ideas, let me know. 

I am not sure what you mean. I would set up my project using the audio template, and I am not aware of any other way of starting a project.Educate me.  I have to set up an audio track with source specified and that is all ok, but the signal gets distorted and weak, only in Logic.

File -> New

Then select "New Project" on the left. Then select "Empty Project" and click "Choose".

In the following dialog select one (empty!) audio track and make sure that "Load default patch" is not selected. You can select the correct input here already.

Then save this project somewhere and record from the Fantom.

And I guess when you play that recording in the Finder or open it in another audio app it sounds broken as well?

When you connect the outputs of the Fantom to a monitor controller and speakers does it sound OK? Or on headphones connected directly to the Fantom?

Edited by wonshu

10 hours ago, wonshu said:

And I guess when you play that recording in the Finder or open it in another audio app it sounds broken as well?

When you connect the outputs of the Fantom to a monitor controller and speakers does it sound OK? Or on headphones connected directly to the Fantom?

As mentioned above, I recorded in Garageband using the USB connection, and the signal was clean and good. I also use monitors and headphones, and the sound is likewise without any distortion. It only happens in Logic.  Even using the audio main output from the keyboard and going through an audio interface, thus avoiding the USB connection, it causes the same static, distorted and weak audio signal, so that you can barely hear the recording.

So just for me to double check and understand your setup better:

You connect the Fantom via USB to your Mac.

Logic uses this Fantom as an audio interface and the Fantom sends audio over USB. Correct?

That seems very curious indeed.

Did you try playing around with different buffer settings in Logic -> Preferences -> Audio ?

As a test: do you have another audio interface, use that one and connect the audio outputs from the Fantom to the inputs of the interface and try it that way?

38 minutes ago, wonshu said:

Logic uses this Fantom as an audio interface and the Fantom sends audio over USB. Correct?

This is the normal way to connect the Fantom to Logic and Macbook...

39 minutes ago, wonshu said:

Did you try playing around with different buffer settings in Logic -> Preferences -> Audio ?

Yes, and no difference.

40 minutes ago, wonshu said:

As a test: do you have another audio interface, use that one and connect the audio outputs from the Fantom to the inputs of the interface and try it that way?

As I wrote in the previous post, that is what I did. And for Logic the result was the same distorted result, so it shows it is not about the USB connection. And again, with the USB connection I was able to record audio in Garageband perfectly.

45 minutes ago, wonshu said:

Although I would not say my Roland functions as an audio interface, as I am not using it to connect any other instruments. I simply use my Roland as the direct source to send audio

Hmm..

Did you try creating a new user and testing there?

Alternatively, this is the old fashioned way of doing it, but it's less complete:

Try deleting Logics preferences and starting fresh:

Quit Logic and then as a backup drag this file to the Desktop:

/Users/YOURUSER/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic10.plist

Then start Logic and try again.

If there is no difference, you can quit Logic and move your previous preference file back and replace the one Logic had just created.

Edited by wonshu

Away from Logic prefs...there could be a corruption of sorts in Audio MIDI Setup (potentially some "leftovers" from the previous Roland driver?).

In the Finder, hold down Option while you click the Go menu and choose Library.
Choose the Preferences folder.
Find "com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist" and trash it.
Open AMS.
Close AMS.
Start Logic....is everything OK?

9 minutes ago, JakobP said:

Mic Mode set to standard ? Use Mic Modes on your Mac

Thank you Jakob! All these different complicated things I have been looking into and it simply was down to the settings on the microphone. It records clean now! So, the problem was in some sort of interference between my USB audio and the audio from the microphone. LOL. 

5 minutes ago, Bjorn67 said:

So, the problem was in some sort of interference between my USB audio and the audio from the microphone. LOL. 

The "Mic Mode" processes all inputs, not just microphones, so the feature tried to isolate voice from your synth sound, that's all... 😄 I really wonder though, why Apple have chosen to apply the mic mode to Logic and some chat apps like FaceTime, but not GarageBand... Anyway, you're welcome 🙂 

Edited by JakobP
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JakobP said:

Mic Mode set to standard ? Use Mic Modes on your Mac

Based on how frequently this issue pops up in this forum, this setting is really creating a lot of frustration for many Logic users, probably for users of others DAWs as well. 🤯

2 hours ago, JakobP said:

really wonder though, why Apple have chosen to apply the mic mode to Logic and some chat apps like FaceTime, but not GarageBand...

Indeed, it makes absolutely no sense.

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jordi Torres said:

Based on how frequently this issue pops up in this forum, this setting is really creating a lot of frustration for many Logic users, probably for users of others DAWs as well.

Yep....dunno if Dave can create/pin a "so your audio input sounds like trash" topic with the solution/one of the many screen grabs taken by several of us.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oscwilde said:

Yep....dunno if Dave can create/pin a "so your audio input sounds like trash" topic with the solution/one of the many screen grabs taken by several of us.

I could but there are many frequently occurring questions like this, and that would require many pinned topics I'm afraid? I'm working on a FAQ where this would belong. 

• Like 2