Panning guitars to center is increasing volume

StevenMorton

Seems like a major flaw in Logic. 

I don't want a volume increase when I pan from the far right/left to the center. 

So now I have to automate a volume decrease to counteract the volume increase brought about by panning. 

C'est la vie. I guess not all problems have solutions. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me.

Edited by StevenMorton

6 hours ago, StevenMorton said:

Seems like a major flaw in Logic. 

This phenomenon is not specific to Logic - and it's not a flaw: it's a normal acoustic phenomenon. It's normal to have a signal sound louder when two speakers are reproducing it, vs when only one is. 

That's what pan laws are trying to resolve. Different mixing consoles, from analog to digital, have different pan laws. Analog consoles have a fixed pan law, whereas digital mixing software often allows you to use different pan laws, depending on your preference. 

6 hours ago, StevenMorton said:

So now I have to automate a volume decrease to counteract the volume increase brought about by panning. 

Yes, that's a normal thing to do on any mixing desk, analog or digital. In fact even on your TV for example: if it's stereo and offers a pan parameter, try to pan all the way to one side. You'll hear the sound become weaker. 

What you could try is to use a more severe pan law like -6 dB compensated. It will turn down the signal by 6 dB when you're panning it in the center (vs when panned hard on one side), which should help a little more than -3 dB compensated. Maybe it will suit your mixing style better. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2024 at 2:55 AM, David Nahmani said:

This is normal behavior with some pan laws such as 0 dB, you may want to try -3 dB Compensated instead. That setting is under File > Project Settings > Audio. 

Does the pan law apply to surround mixes and binaural renderings?