Beat Mapping

Quechua

Hey folks, wonder if anyone's got some good advice here please. 

I'm preparing a backing track and I'm using the audio from an original recording to create a tempo map. The way I've always done this is simply creating a blank instrument channel, tapping (noiselessly) on my midi keyboard, then converting that to Beat Mapping in the global dropdown. That works perfectly - I've now got a click that's in line with the audio track I'm using as a reference.

However - as part of creating the new track, I need to now temporarily slow down the new piano track so it's not too fast for me to record the parts (which are technically pretty difficult - so I was planning to record at like 3/4 speed before speeding up in the finished version). 

tl;dr I have a complex beat map - but I need to temporarily reduce bpm (equally) across the board so I can record a tough instrumental part. 

Is that possible? Sure it is, but it's got me beaten at the moment. 

Thanks!

Edited by Quechua
  • Like 1

Here's what I'd do:

- Select the source audio Region

- ctrl-click Region > Tempo > Write Project Tempo To Audio File 

- turn on Flex on the Region

- in the Tempo List Editor, select Tempo Set > Duplicate

- select all Tempo Events in the duplicated Set

-drag the Tempo values down to taste

- record  the new parts

-switch back to the original Tempo Set

-hit Play

-reap the applause from my girlfriend

Edited by fuzzfilth
  • Like 3

@fuzzfilth this is an amazing solution! 🙂  Excuse my ignorance of Logic but... I did not know you could write  a set of Tempo Values to an Audio File ( ie created after Beating Mapping the way @Quechua describes - and which I am very familiar.  But the following questions arise:

1/ If your original Beatmapping is not that accurate, could it 'mess up or degrade' the timing of the original audio file?

2/ I always thought that if you slowed down a Track via Varispeed it was not possible to record audio ( but of course you can Midi which I do a lot of when transcribing post beat mapping - easier to hear complex passages etc)

3/ But what you are saying is that you can Transfer the Tempo values to the Audio then slow all those tempo values down - record at that lower speed - and then return them and the new slower  recording to the original tempo?

Edited by Music Spirit

1. Yes, if and when you're using that Tempo information to Flex the original audio Region.

2. I'm not proposing VariSpeed, which IMO sounds very bad, but Flex, which sounds way better and lets you record and speed up later without problems.

3. Yes. Writing the Tempo Set to the audio file is required to correctly slow down sections of the audio file to keep it in sync with Logic's slowed grid.

Edited by fuzzfilth
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, fuzzfilth said:

Here's what I'd do:

- Select the source audio Region

- ctrl-click Region > Tempo > Write Project Tempo To Audio File 

- turn on Flex on the Region

- in the Tempo List Editor, select Tempo Set > Duplicate

- select all Tempo Events in the duplicated Set

-drag the Tempo values down to taste

- record  the new parts

-switch back to the original Tempo Set

-hit Play

-reap the applause from my girlfriend

This is a cool thing to try, I can see how it might just work - will do this first thing tomorrow and see if I can get it working. Thanks!

• Like 1