Workaround: Flex editing audio with tempo changes

gp71

If you are preparing to rhythmically edit audio in flex-mode (e.g. tightening up a set of drums) with tempo changes, then this workaround might be of use to you.

In a ‘tempo-change’ scenario, if you start moving the markers Logic has inserted automatically, the system reacts in a bizarre way, almost like a it coughs up the markers, instead of the usual shuffling along of the subsequent markers that you’d expect.

This is a disaster if you are zoomed in and don't notice the chaos happening further down the track.

After much fiddling I discovered that if you initially insert a new marker just before the end of each tempo section, then it will behave normally within each section when you start moving markers.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Cool, thank you for sharing your workaround. 🙂 

Shouldn’t we make a thread in the Bugs section about this (preferably with a description when exactly it starts to go wrong)? Currently I don’t see the “coughing up markers” thingy here

49 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Shouldn’t we make a thread in the Bugs section about this (preferably with a description when exactly it starts to go wrong)? Currently I don’t see the “coughing up markers” thingy here

I think I should clarify. The existing markers react erratically (a better term than cough) rather than shuffle along predictably as expected. This only occurs when there are tempo changes in the session. It's like the machine cannot handle the task of making subtle adjustment on either side of a tempo change, which is why I boxed off each section with a new marker. 

1 hour ago, gp71 said:

I think I should clarify. The existing markers react erratically (a better term than cough) rather than shuffle along predictably as expected. This only occurs when there are tempo changes in the session. It's like the machine cannot handle the task of making subtle adjustment on either side of a tempo change, which is why I boxed off each section with a new marker. 

Still don’t see this here, so a thread in the Bugs section would be appropriate IMHO.

1 minute ago, polanoid said:

Still don’t see this here, so a thread in the Bugs section would be appropriate IMHO.

Do you mean you don't have this problem with your rig in the same scenario?

18 minutes ago, gp71 said:

Do you mean you don't have this problem with your rig in the same scenario?

That's what I meant yes. But maybe I don’t understand you correctly or do something differently than you do, that’s why a screenshot video would be most helpful.

Edited by polanoid

11 minutes ago, polanoid said:

That's what I meant yes. But maybe I don’t understand you correctly or do something differently than you do, that’s why a screenshot video would be most helpful.

Ok, next time I am in such a session I'll do that before using the workaround. 

• Like 2

Just now, gp71 said:

Ok, next time I am in such a session I'll do that before using the workaround. 

Great! I agree that a detailed description with screenshots or animated screen captures (for example using LiceCap) would make it easier for anyone to try to reproduce the issue and thus get one step closer to hopefully finding a resolution. 🙂 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Here is an example of the issue that I trapped with four screenshots.

1 is the markers as they appear

2 is what happens when one is moved - notice the exaggerated reaction after the tempo change

3 is the markers as they were but now with one extra placed just before the tempo change

4 is the markers after one is moved - notice the normal reaction to the audio after it

IMG_2736.png

IMG_2737.png

IMG_2738.png

i tried adding them all into the first reply but the server refused repeatedly 

hope his helps 

IMG_2739.png

2 minutes ago, gp71 said:

Here is an example of the issue that I trapped with four screenshots.

It's hard to see on these screenshots.

For proper screenshots, use your Mac's built-in screenshot key commands (see the instructions in the thread I linked below). Also if you can include the bar ruler in the screenshots, it would help understand what's happening. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Where did you move it to? I don't see any flex marker anymore in your "screenshot"

Look at the cursor  in 1 and then 2 so you can see the marker I moved 

9 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

It's hard to see on these screenshots.

For proper screenshots, use your Mac's built-in screenshot key commands (see the instructions in the thread I linked below). Also if you can include the bar ruler in the screenshots, it would help understand what's happening. 

Will do next time 

Edited by gp71

Perhaps just look at the wave forms in pairs, 1&2 and 3&4. The differences over all in the reaction should help you see the workaround .sorry can't help more 

10 minutes ago, gp71 said:

Perhaps just look at the wave forms in pairs, 1&2 and 3&4. The differences over all in the reaction

Yes, I'd like to understand what is it the waveform is reacting to. This is not clear at all from your "screenshots"