How to get the Plugin Manager to stop showing plugins that are no longer installed?

alexe
Go to solution Solved by des99,

I removed a few plugins, but on the next launch Logic complained that the validation for one of those uninstalled plugins failed and the Plugin Manager shows the plugin as "couldn't be opened".

I then ran a "Full Audio Unit Reset", but that didn't solve the problem either. It made it worse, actually 😂: On the next relaunch, Logic now complains that the validation failed for 2 of the uninstalled plugins and now the Plugin Manager shows both of them as "couldn't be opened".

That "Remove" entry from the context menu in the Plugin Manager looks like it would be what I'm looking for, but it is somehow always greyed out.

What can I do?

Also some plugins are stored elsewhere - eg, individual Waves plugins, or AUv3 plugs etc.

If Logic is still loading a plugin, you haven't removed it, basically, it's still on your system.

It may help to be specific as to the plugins you are removing...

Thanks for the help, guys!

The two plugins in question are Wide Blue Sound Silencer and DMG Audio PitchFunk.

I removed them from /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components and just to be sure, I also checked ~/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components (I had that case once).

Once the .component package is gone from those places, shouldn't that be enough?

• Solution

It should be enough, generally yes. If they are still showing up in Logic's Plugin Manager, then it's possible they are being cached. Did you actually delete the files, or just move them elsewhere? Have you rebooted?

You can always try to trash the AU cache if you *sure* they should be gone, but this generally shouldn't be necessary...

• Like 1

The reboot did it.  ...LOL

Alright, I'll keep that in mind for next time. Trashing the cache manually would probably also have done the trick (I guess that's the only thing the reboot did that made a difference in this case?).

Reboot basically restarts the AU component registrar process, which is the thing that detects changes in the plugin configuration. Often, just killing that is good enough, and achieves the same thing as a reboot, without actually requiring one.

• Like 1