Dolby Atmos

Archaeopteryx

I was having a play around with DearVR and upon Googling how best to handle this software I came across a setting I'd never altered. The DearVR manual states that, in Logic's preferences, Spatial Audio should be set from Off to Dolby Atmos.

As I say, this was set to Off and because this is a setting for the software itself, it has been so throughout multiple Logic projects.

May I ask if it is safe to change this setting to Dolby Atmos permanently, even when I open and edit the many projects where it has always been set to Off?

I hope that makes sense 

Thank you

Turning on Spatial Audio is perfectly safe, however it does change the format of your mix, much like changing a mix from mono to stereo would. You will now have a multiple channel format that is handled differently, expected to be routed to an array of multiple speakers positioned all around you in a room to reproduce the immersive audio localization, or mixed down to a binaural reproduction of the audio to be played back on headphones or stereo speaker systems. 

Also note that mixing in Dolby Atmos puts a lot more strain on your computer resources, mainly your CPU. 

You can read more about Spatial Audio and Dolby Atmos in Logic Pro right there: 

Overview of surround and spatial audio in Logic Pro for Mac

• Like 1

Wow - I don't know which was scarier - the answer itself or the incredible speed of your response!

Thank you, David. I think I might just leave it 'off' although I will follow the link you kindly left

Do you think DearVR would be rendered completely useless without 'Dolby Atmos'?

39 minutes ago, Archaeopteryx said:

Do you think DearVR would be rendered completely useless without 'Dolby Atmos'?

I've never used that plug-in however as I understand, you need to use some kind of surround format in order to use it. 

I believe the best if you want to explore this is to read and experiment. If you want to experiment with your own projects then first make sure you save a copy that you name for example project-name-Spatial, and in that copy, turn on Spatial Audio and start experimenting, while reading the manuals. 

I would first experiment with Logic's built-in Spatial Audio tools.

Shameless plug: there is an entire chapter dedicated to mixing in Dolby Atmos in my book, that lays out the foundations of the Spatial Audio mixing workflow using Logic Pro's built-in tools (3D object panners, Surround panners, Surround 7.1.2 plug-ins, gain staging in Dolby Atmos, The Dolby Atmos plug-in, ADM BWF file export), along with a mix of Darude's Moments (feat. Sebastian Reyman) used to demonstrate how to position sound sources in the immersive sound field. For more about my book and to hear Darude's song: https://www.logicprohelp.com/logic-pro-book/

You can also play with this using one of the demo projects that come along with Logic Pro, for example Take a Daytrip - Manzana Spatial Audio, that you can find in the project chooser (File > New), under "Demo Projects". 

Have fun and don't hesitate to ask questions here! 🙂 

• Like 1