To link or not to link, that is the question !

Bebop26
Go to solution Solved by Atlas007,

Well, I was not a slow learner in my life, but I might be getting old !  Maybe the language is partially responsible for my difficulty here.

I do finished projects that sounds OK, with MIDI, audio, step sequencer and Live loops, but I do not understand AT ALL what are the things implied with the LINK buttons.

I've read the Logic Guide but still, I'm confused. If there would be an exam of this question, I'get a zero !  Shame on me...

- For instance, why does the Guide suggests to take Link off at a certain point when working with Scores ? 

- If I create a link when clicking on a link button, why doesn't it ask me : link it to what ?

- When I have a part (score) opened, it doesn't change anything if I click or unclick the link button. Same is true with other link buttons elsewhere (tracks for instance...).

I'd need the course « Linking for the nulls ».

Can someone kindly help me ?

Thanks.

• Solution

Providing that you have read and understood what the documentation is stating, the Link is mainly useful when working / editing into one location/editor in relation from another location/window. 

- For instance, why does the Guide suggests to take Link off at a certain point when working with Scores ?

In some situation to navigate from one spot to another, linking editor’s windows makes it less confusing.

However, it could be useful at some point to listen the edition area but not having the edition location to be moving. I.e. while having the Score, the Track area and Piano Roll editors window open, having them linked, eases to go to bar 36, set the cycle area between bars 34 to 40 in the Track area. Then unlinking the Score and Piano Roll from the Track area, you could play in cycle bars 34 to 40 while finely adjusting in context each note’s velocity/position in the Piano Roll and check how it shows in the Score without having those editors from moving.

- If I create a link when clicking on a link button, why doesn't it ask me : link it to what ?

The Link is a condition to which each window can adhere to, or not.

Considering there is only one possible group to which windows could adhere to, there is no Link group needing to be specified.

The Link button reveals if its window is linked to other linked window(s), or not, depending of its colour.

- When I have a part (score) opened, it doesn't change anything if I click or unclick the link button. Same is truewith other link buttons elsewhere (tracks for instance...).

The Link effect will become evident when one navigate (move the playhead) in one of the editors window that is linked. The other editor linked window(s) display will then also update to reflect in sync with the first window where the playhead was moved. The position of the playhead will always be set at the same position in the timeline in all windows, regardless of their Link condition.

I'd need the course « Linking for the nulls ».

Can someone kindly help me ?

If you would like to learn more about Link, please note there are 64 topics on that subject available in the documentation published by Apple.

Edited by Atlas007