Selection-Based Processing taking unusually long

Harvey Walls

Does this problem also occurs with Logic’s stock plugins (instead of RX) ?

5 hours ago, Harvey Walls said:

In case it matters, I have the latest LPX version (10.7.9) running on an M1 MacBook Pro with 32GB RAM.

The latest (most recent) version of Logic as of today (2024-02-27) is v.10.8.1.

Are you running Logic in Rosetta mode?

Edited by Atlas007

4 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

Does this problem also occurs with Logic’s stock plugins (instead of RX) ?

The latest (most recent) version of Logic as of today (2024-02-27) is v.10.8.1.

Are you running Logic in Rosetta mode?

Very strange. I made a copy of the LPX project, tried it again and it rendered fast. I then tried it again on the original LPX project and it rendered fast also ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm still on Monterey. Probably why I don't have LPX v.10.8.1.

I don't know if I'm running Rosetta mode. I don't think so. How to tell?

I guess it shall remain a mystery.

19 hours ago, Harvey Walls said:

Very strange. I made a copy of the LPX project, tried it again and it rendered fast. I then tried it again on the original LPX project and it rendered fast also ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm still on Monterey. Probably why I don't have LPX v.10.8.1.

I don't know if I'm running Rosetta mode. I don't think so. How to tell?

I guess it shall remain a mystery.

Lots of things are happening in a computer that are not evident as they occur in the background. Those processes hinder the performance of the computer which manifest in the software / app at use for the moment, becoming momentarily crippled. The more one runs apps concurrently the more they become demanding on the CPU resources the more prone that phenomenon is to occur.

Thanks for your followup. I just checked and it isn't running in Rosetta mode. 

A related question: When you use Selection Based Processing (SBP) does LPX create a new audio file or does it alter the original? I ask because I noticed that as soon as I applied SBP to a region the LPX project file grew to a much bigger file size than usual.

I might have had the original audio file open externally in iZotope RX at the same time—which probably forced LPX to create a separate audio file thus increasing the project file size?  I only tried SBP on that one region exactly because I thought something was wrong, hence this post.

I encountered an unusual problem with this project which I think might be related to doing SBP while having the audio file open externally in RX. Every time I did some fix in RX and returned to LPX the progress bar under the display kept loading and loading over and over for at least 3 minutes. Normally, I only see this progress bar once per audio file but this time it seemed to show a progress bar for each region! I've never seen that happen.

Eventually I couldn't even open the project file. I was almost panicking because I had already worked on it for about 12 hours. Luckily I came across a video that helped me hack it so I could "reconstruct" the project: 

There are a few things that will grow a project size. Among others: number of backups and alternatives.

The Project Audio Browser is the place I would go to verify if Logic had created new audio files.

Cold rebooting your Mac when you start encountering computer performance issues is the first step I would recommend to do.

If the problem persists, then NV/PRAM & SMC resets would be the next step.

The above steps wouldn’t be of any use if your system specs aren’t at par with the task(s) you are performing. That include the project size, the other concurring running apps, the relative % size of your HD remaining free space left vs your RAM, etc…