Comparing Different VST Instruments/Chains with Midi

flasky1

Hey,

was wondering if people had some ideas on how they efficiently compare multiple VST Patches and Plugin Chains for one track? in order to find one that fits a track best, without creating a big mess in the project with a lot of duplicated tracks with different chains, scattered all over the project.

Thank you

Edited by flasky1

Different folks have different ways they like to work.
While you can do what you want in Logic's patch browser(s)/library, you need to be methodical and work in a particular way.

Perhaps you might be a candidate for something like Patchwork?
Lots of folks love the workflow it affords/it better suits the way their brain processes stuff.
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_PatchWork/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

Have you tried browsing the Patches libraries?

That, of course, implies those patches pre-existence…

Selection-based processing might be another approach…

yeah i have tried it, but i find it's not flexible enough for me.

but thank you for your suggestion 🙂

9 hours ago, oscwilde said:

Different folks have different ways they like to work.
While you can do what you want in Logic's patch browser(s)/library, you need to be methodical and work in a particular way.

Perhaps you might be a candidate for something like Patchwork?
Lots of folks love the workflow it affords/it better suits the way their brain processes stuff.
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_PatchWork/

i have the free trial for patchwork, i'm gonna try it out. as i don't think Logic pro has a solution built into it.

maybe with some updates it will become more flexible.

thanks for your suggestion 🙂

11 hours ago, flasky1 said:

yeah i have tried it, but i find it's not flexible enough for me.

Out of curiosity: what part of Patch’s library browsing (considering its merging options) is lacking flexibility in regard of your workflow?

14 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

Out of curiosity: what part of Patch’s library browsing (considering its merging options) is lacking flexibility in regard of your workflow?

correct me if i'm wrong, every patch that i create and every time i edit it, it would have to be saved in order for me to alternate between them, for me personally that would be a lot of saved patches just for one track. so yes i could do it, but it's not really ideal.

i like the track alternatives method where you can switch between multiple midi or audio ideas, without needing to save and name every one.

if there was a track alternative solution to channel strips, i think that is what i'm thinking of when i say it being flexible.

10 hours ago, flasky1 said:

correct me if i'm wrong, every patch that i create and every time i edit it, it would have to be saved in order for me to alternate between them, for me personally that would be a lot of saved patches just for one track. so yes i could do it, but it's not really ideal.

Indeed that may represent many saves, depending of your browsing intention. Personally, I create in the library a subfolder structure where are saved the interesting options pertaining to a specific project (subfolder being named after the project’s name).

The Patche Merging options makes it flexible to load only part of a given channelstrip Setting. For instance, one could keep the virtual instrument and switch the audio plugins to a new set, or vice versa. Same goes for the MIDI Fx, interchangeably. Very useful to easily experiment different sonic possibilities.

Edited by Atlas007

8 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

Indeed that may represent many saves, depending of your browsing intention. Personally, I create in the library a subfolder structure where are saved the interesting options pertaining to a specific project (subfolder being named after the project’s name).

The Patche Merging options makes it flexible to load only part of a given channelstrip Setting. For instance, one could keep the virtual instrument and switch the audio plugins to a new set, or vice versa. Same goes for the MIDI Fx, interchangeably. Very useful to easily experiment different sonic possibilities.

Yes i suppose if you made an organised set of sub folders like you are doing, it would make things a lot easier. it's something i will experiment with.

Thank you for your help 🙂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Atlas007

Just been doing some experimenting, sorry if i don't say the technical terms but is there a way that when i press "Save" to add the patch to the library, that it will open in the "sub-folder". because currently, i make an edit to a preset, then i want to save it. but it takes me to the "Parent Folder" then i have to click on all the sub-folders to get to the place i would like to save it. it would be good if it took me straight to that sub-folder. this is for presets that i have made little edits to that are already saved in the library and i just want to overwrite the current preset that is in the library

Edited by flasky1

23 hours ago, flasky1 said:

@Atlas007

Just been doing some experimenting, sorry if i don't say the technical terms but is there a way that when i press "Save" to add the patch to the library, that it will open in the "sub-folder". because currently, i make an edit to a preset, then i want to save it. but it takes me to the "Parent Folder" then i have to click on all the sub-folders to get to the place i would like to save it. it would be good if it took me straight to that sub-folder. this is for presets that i have made little edits to that are already saved in the library and i just want to overwrite the current preset that is in the library

You are right! One has to navigate every time to the desired saving location.

I recall now that I was sorting after the fact, directly from within the Finder. A little drag admitedly but not as bad as it might look once accustomed to it.

• Like 1