Noise removal plugin

This plugin seems amazing:

Any alternatives to this plugin? I love the simplicity that it only has 2 knobs and they get the job done. I've tried the NS1 by Waves but it doesn't fully remove the noise is my experience.

Does it work now?

On 3/1/2024 at 11:34 PM, Atlas007 said:

Have you tried the stock Denoiser plugin?

Yes I have, but in my experience it ruins the vocal frequencies when there is a little bit more noise going on. This plugin from UAD seems to handle it really well, without any artifacts. Haven't tested it tho, so it might be a good marketing technique.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, globet said:

Any difference between this and EQing all the lows below a certain frequency?

Yeah a little.  It would be trying to remove what it "thinks" noise is, not just everything beyond a certain frequency.

These older algorithms aren't nearly as effective as the ones they design to today.  Partly because of the limitations of computers 20 years ago (yep, that plugin is pretty much that old).  It's also partly due to what we've learned about noise reduction over that time too.

The more advanced algorithms make use of neural networks (AI) to do a more effective job of removing unwanted noise.  They work by training them to understand what a voice is, or another desirable sound source, and then remove anything that doesn't fit with this idea.

The introduction of AI into the area of noise reduction makes quite a difference.  You wouldn't have been able to achieve anything like it 20 years ago.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, simon.a.billington said:

Yeah a little.  It would be trying to remove what it "thinks" noise is, not just everything beyond a certain frequency.

These older algorithms aren't nearly as effective as the ones they design to today.  Partly because of the limitations of computers 20 years ago (yep, that plugin is pretty much that old).  It's also partly due to what we've learned about noise reduction over that time too.

The more advanced algorithms make use of neural networks (AI) to do a more effective job of removing unwanted noise.  They work by training them to understand what a voice is, or another desirable sound source, and then remove anything that doesn't fit with this idea.

The introduction of AI into the area of noise reduction makes quite a difference.  You wouldn't have been able to achieve anything like it 20 years ago.

Wondering if noise removal plugins such as Denoiser can be used on the project level (on the Master bus) to help with issues of a "muddy mix"?

Edited by globet

On 3/24/2024 at 1:15 PM, simon.a.billington said:

Well actually Waves has another noise removal plugin specifically for voice.  Clarity VX,, there's a dereverb  plugin too.  Great clean up quality, though it uses neural networks (AI) so comes with a lot of latency and CPU overhead.  So it can't be used live.

This looks great as well! I'll look into it, thank you!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2024 at 10:39 PM, globet said:

Wondering if noise removal plugins such as Denoiser can be used on the project level (on the Master bus) to help with issues of a "muddy mix"?

Unfortunately it will be more detrimental to the mix than anything.  

Nothing is stopping you from trying it, just make sure you compare your before against the after.  That will give you an idea of what its doing and whether it's helping or hurting.

Although I think the thing you're really looking for is something more in line with Neutron Sculptor, Oeksound Soothe/Bloom or for vocals Waves Silk Vocal.

Edited by simon.a.billington

On 4/3/2024 at 1:51 AM, sytrusze said:
On 3/24/2024 at 11:15 PM, simon.a.billington said:

Well actually Waves has another noise removal plugin specifically for voice.  Clarity VX,, there's a dereverb  plugin too.  Great clean up quality, though it uses neural networks (AI) so comes with a lot of latency and CPU overhead.  So it can't be used live.

This looks great as well! I'll look into it, thank you!

Consider checking out the Clarity VX Dereverb as well.  They're both really well designed, useful tools.  Consider waiting for sale if you plan to snatch anything up.  That'll save you a few dollars.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, simon.a.billington said:

Consider checking out the Clarity VX Dereverb as well.  They're both really well designed, useful tools.  Consider waiting for sale if you plan to snatch anything up.  That'll save you a few dollars.

Will do, thanks! Worked on a project today where I REALLY needed to dereverb something...so it's a must have

• Like 1