Logic Pro 10.8.1 screen flashes on and off and other weird things

MacSean3
Go to solution Solved by oscwilde,

I'm running Logic 10.8.1 on a Late 2018 Mac mini 500gb with 64gb of RAM. Ever since I updated, the screen flashes off and on every two seconds or so and there are times when I can't scroll up or down. There are other times when I can't see any of the instruments in the Project window. The only thing that makes the software return to normal is after a Restart.

Has anyone encountered this? It's really frustrating, since it's so difficult to accomplish anything due to the almost constant restarting.

Thanks in advance for the help.

14 minutes ago, MacSean3 said:

96.41 gb.

Chances are that is the source of your problem.

In such a case, the solution would be to use an external (SSD) big drive, move onto it the maximum of data from your internal one in order to keep at least more than 20-25% free of the internal drive’s total capacity (>100-125GB)…

Also, try to keep your project to a low tracks count and take into consideration that using lot of samples will hinder the Mac performances.

Obviously, it is advisable to avoid running other application while running Logic.

NV/PRAM & SMC resets might help temporarily…

Alternately, if you are using 3rd party plugins, there is the possibility those are the source of your issue. If applicable, you could try running Logic in Rosetta mode.

Edited by Atlas007

14 minutes ago, oscwilde said:

Update Sonoma to at least 14.2.1. 14.3.x is the latest.
It contains fixes (related to graphic switching between the graphics card/GPU graphics) that affect Intel Macs.

I'm upgrading the OS as we speak.  Will let you know if I notice any marked improvement.

10 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

I didn’t know that Logic could be installed and/or ran from an external drive…

Of that I'm not sure.  I just installed it there to keep all of the Logic files together on a drive with way more space on it.

11 minutes ago, MacSean3 said:

Will let you know if I notice any marked improvement.

Cool...and fingers crossed.
It "appears" to have fixed the prob for a number of Intel Mac users...but forum posters (here and elsewhere) don't always update their comments to say yep, that did/didn't do the trick....so it's always valuable info to have for other folks in the future

Thank you for your suggestion, oscwilde.  Upgrading the Mac OS from Sonoma 14.1.1 to 14.3.1 completely solved the flashing Project Window in Logic Pro 10.8.1.

I can't thank you enough for your help.  Do spread the word to others who are still in the Intel world that the OS upgrade will fix the problem.  

Cheers, Sean...

• Like 3

16 hours ago, MacSean3 said:

Thank you for your suggestion, oscwilde.  Upgrading the Mac OS from Sonoma 14.1.1 to 14.3.1 completely solved the flashing Project Window in Logic Pro 10.8.1.

I can't thank you enough for your help.  Do spread the word to others who are still in the Intel world that the OS upgrade will fix the problem.  

Cheers, Sean...

Out of curiosity: after updating the macOS to Sonoma 14.3.1, are you still running the Logic app from an external drive or have you reinstalled and run Logic on/from your Mac’s system drive?

1 hour ago, Atlas007 said:

macOS to Sonoma 14.3.1, are you still running the Logic app from an external drive or have you reinstalled and run Logic on/from your Mac’s system drive?

My MBA has two systems - both Sonoma.
One for (music) work and the internal drive for general use.
The external "work" drive contains ALL music apps and library....and the internal drive/system isn't used at all when running this second system.

I've run secondary/dual systems like this for well over a decade.....and, in fact, used to run a 3rd system with Windows - back in the days when Boot Camp was a thing.

I have two other machines...MBP and a Studio (used in the studio).
Currently, myself and colleagues are experimenting with an external OS drive/music apps/plugs, etc. on the studio machine with a "test" Sonoma system as it's primarily running PT (Ventura).

37 minutes ago, oscwilde said:

The external "work" drive contains ALL music apps and library....and the internal drive/system isn't used at all when running this second system.

(IIUW) I guess that you are booting your Mac from that external (which contains macOS), right?