Creating New Template From Existing

miguelli
Go to solution Solved by Frances O,

Hello Logic people and David! I've composed a film cue in 12/8 with an ostinato bass part on the LH of the piano. After the piece was finished, I added a counterpoint part but it was in 4/4. How I achieved this was by going into the metronome settings and unselecting beat and divisions so that only beat 1 is heard instead of 1 through 12. The piece was well received by itself and so I was asked to contribute more to that 4/4 part only. Question. HOW? heheh! How do I retain all the midi info that SOUNDS like 4/4 (but is really still being recorded in 12/8) and open it in a new file? Thank you in advance. A six pack coming your way if you can help.

Met.png

Maybe it's just me, but I'm having a bit of trouble parsing that. Are you saying you only want the part that sounds like 4/4, and (for the sake of further development on its own) in a new project rather than the same project? (Maybe someone else will understand better!)

• Love 1

1 hour ago, scg said:

Maybe it's just me, but I'm having a bit of trouble parsing that. Are you saying you only want the part that sounds like 4/4, and (for the sake of further development on its own) in a new project rather than the same project? (Maybe someone else will understand better!)

Indeed…

As you experimented it, the time signature shouldn’t affect the playback of what is already recorded. Recording on top of same within the same project shouldn’t pose issues either for MIDI material. For audio, that could be another story unless you plan to do so rubato and disable musical grid during the audio recording.

If you plan to import the same into another project, you will probably need to fiddle with the Smart Tempo and the project tempo modes

The problems are likely to arise on the eventual score sheet which will require some twisting (and which remain to be proved) to make Logic comply into rendering same satisfactorily. 

• Love 1

Exactly. I'm running into trouble with score only. My orchestrator is aware that at 130BPM, the dotted quarter will create a 4/4 feel. That is, 4 groups of 3. So it is for the musicians who will play this cue that I am needing (with the help of David Nahmani) to recreate it in a new template/score in 4/4 time. But it's also indicative of right side left side of the brain when inspiration comes. As a composer, it's get the melodies down first, edit later. I m fully aware I made this problem for myself. Enjoying the process and will be happy to share results. Thank you.

• Solution
Posted (edited)

Hi Miguelli

If I understand you - you want a 12/8 dotted quarter to become a 4/4 quarter feel but keep original tempo feel?

This implies conversion into triplets. If you are dealing only with MIDI  I would suggest saving all midi data as a midi export. Copy your project and set the copy to 2/3 tempo of 130BPM - 86.6666 with time signature of 4/4.

Import midi file and in MIDI transform divide speed and position by 3 then multiply by 2.

Then drag all midi back to original start position.

Samples attached.

MIDI Transform.png

12_8.zip 4_4 86.zip

Edited by Frances O