Why are there download arrows in the Library, despite the entire content being already downloaded?

Retep62

I just installed 10.8.1 on my MacBook Air Ventura 13.6.4

I downloaded the entire content (but the 'Legacy and Compatibility' shows as 'not installed' for some reason - despite the fact that it shows up in the library)

I moved the library to my external drive.

However, when I create either a software instrument track or drummer track and open the Library around 50% of the content has a download arrow next to it. What gives? Is it because the library is on an external drive?

When I click the download arrow it seems to be reading from my external drive. Is it just transferring the files back to my main drive?

I right clicked the arrow and selected 'Refresh Library' but it did nothing.

So I now have to click hundreds of little arrows to download what has already been downloaded or is there a quicker way to do this?

Edited by Retep62
rephrased the quaestion

• Retep62 changed the title to Why are there download arrows in the Library, despite the entire content being already downloaded?

The arrows are generally for content that has been updated....and in the vast majority of cases this is NOT sample content but patch, setting, etc. data....so it's generally a few kilobytes.

The patch, CST, Setting, etc. data is continually updated by Apple, but this (updated) content is "not" part of the Sound Library Manager window content (i.e. actual samples) that you download nor is it part of the "basic" content installed with the app - rather, it is handled on an "as needed" basis via the Library pane.

Logic's Help system works in a similar way....with "basic" Help actually installed with the app....and when you need more information, it links to online resources.

The advantage - to end users and to Apple - is that the online content/help is "live"....which basically means that it can be updated to make sure that users always have access to the latest version of this content/help. It also makes the app download smaller.
When it comes to actual samples or the app itself - this is handled via the Sound Library Manager or App Store mechanisms.