Audio files are deleted when copy & paste with marquee tool

CH0B0
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Recorded audio files disappear when I copy and paste with marquee tool. It happens regardless of whether I saved or not before using marquee tool. Sometimes Logic crashes when I do it.

OS and Logic App are up to date.

Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 1.23.16 PM.png

Edited by CH0B0

44 minutes ago, CH0B0 said:

Recorded audio files disappear when I copy and paste with marquee tool.

Can you share a specific example so we can understand which audio file(s) disappear when you copy which?

If you can, share that project on your screenshot, along with the exact steps to reproduce your issue, so that one us can give it a try? To share the project, use iCloud, or Google drive, or a free service like WeTransfer etc. 

9 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Can you share a specific example so we can understand which audio file(s) disappear when you copy which?

If you can, share that project on your screenshot, along with the exact steps to reproduce your issue, so that one us can give it a try? To share the project, use iCloud, or Google drive, or a free service like WeTransfer etc. 

Thank you. This is the link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17w3YTKthg9tcysquaVXsqIqvDFfJDpzV/view?usp=sharing

Posted (edited)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oauaBdcGJ1YFqTpuTQYOaIXTPbbHWXZn/view?usp=share_link

I compressed it.

The process is as follows:

I set marquee tool enabled while holding command key.
Make audio track in the project.

Record something. In this case I recorded guitar with Steinberg UR22. 

Select audio region with marquee.

Command C and Command V then the message in the screen shot will appear. The audio file is nowhere in unpacked logic file at that time.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by CH0B0

2 minutes ago, rAC said:

Has this only manifested after you updated the OS to the .4 version? 

No, this started manifesting when my mac was OS Ventura and Logic was 10.7. Then I updated to Sonoma and it manifested. So I tried updating Logic to 10.8.1 and it didn’t improve.

The screenshot in your first post already shows the files are missing (no waveform overview is shown) so this doesn't seem to be related to the Marquee Tool.

In the project you sent (which, for whatever reason. lacks the ".zip" extension, so to uncompress it one needs to e.g. right-click it and choose "Open with Archive Utility.app"), the "Brit and Clean" regions are missing their audio files as well.

A newly recorded track in that project behaves just fine, and I can Marquee Copy&Paste its contents without problems.

Edited by polanoid

1 hour ago, polanoid said:

The screenshot in your first post already shows the files are missing (no waveform overview is shown) so this doesn't seem to be related to the Marquee Tool.

In the project you sent, the "Brit and Clean" regions are missing their audio files as well.

A newly recorded track in that project behaves just fine, and I can Marquee Copy&Paste its contents without problems.

Thank you for helping me.
Okay it should be my macbook’s problem. 
I recorded how it happens when I took the screenshot. Check it from the link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C3px1_-D4_cIibKWRKf-HiPpdOYClHLL/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for posting the video, that makes things much clearer. Strange behaviour indeed. I don't think this is a problem with your macbook, looks like a bug (albeit non-reproducible over here) in Logic to me. Could you try moving your preferences file to a safe place (so you can restore it again) out of /Users/<yourname>/Library/Preferences and restart Logic, to see if that changes anything?

Also, what Drag mode are you using? Not visible in the video because the Tracks Area view is too small. 

image.png.eaf6e9a4464b20513925a2672d74d68c.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, polanoid said:

Thanks for posting the video, that makes things much clearer. Strange behaviour indeed. I don't think this is a problem with your macbook, looks like a bug (albeit non-reproducible over here) in Logic to me. Could you try moving your preferences file to a safe place (so you can restore it again) out of /Users/<yourname>/Library/Preferences and restart Logic, to see if that changes anything?

Also, what Drag mode are you using? Not visible in the video because the Tracks Area view is too small. 

Thanks. I’ll try that later tonight.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, polanoid said:

I tried this but the same thing happened. I removed "com.apple.logic.pro.cs" and "com.apple.logic10.plist" from preferences folder. and recorded with macbook pro microphone. I recorded the screen just to make sure.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PUFhRf4VCtHabK3zRN5LYafdL-Ml_4Vv/view?usp=sharing

Also, my Drag Mode was No Overlap.

Edited by CH0B0

11 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

I was able to reproduce this issue. This appears to be a (critical) bug. Good find. I'll report it right away. 

That’s super surprising. I appreciate it. Then…all I have to do is waiting for fixing and be careful not to copy with marquee, right?

3 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

I was able to reproduce this issue. This appears to be a (critical) bug. Good find. I'll report it right away. 

Out of interest, could you describe how to reproduce it? I haven't managed to do so here

3 hours ago, CH0B0 said:

Then…all I have to do is waiting for fixing and be careful not to copy with marquee, right?

Only happens in No Overlap Drag Mode AFAICT, so it would be "be careful not to paste a marquee selection onto itself (which doesn't make that much sense anyway) in No Overlap mode".

10 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Only happens in No Overlap Drag Mode AFAICT, so it would be "be careful not to paste a marquee selection onto itself (which doesn't make that much sense anyway) in No Overlap mode".

Can even be narrowed down to "be careful not to paste a marquee selection of an audio region you recorded in the current Logic session onto itself in No Overlap mode"

21 minutes ago, polanoid said:

you recorded in the current Logic session 

Those files seem to be viewed by Logic as more OK to delete than others, as they also display this dialog when deleting the last audio region that references them

image.png.d4edcbf1acaa8f83f44feb54e52c4462.png

There might be more to it though, as I can not reproduce the situation as shown in the OP's video, where pasting the selection also deletes a file which would have a remaining region on track 1 after pasting in No Overlap mode (it seems they are copies all referencing the same audio file?). @David Nahmani, any idea?