Using Battery Kits in Logic?

Go to solution Solved by Sascha Franck,

So, I'm new to all this and did something a little dumb.  The Yurt Rock Complete Battery kit was recommended to me, but when I bought it, I didn't understand that Battery 4 was required to use them.  I really don't want to shell out $200 to be able to use these kits and beats, and the demo version won't play them.  As far as I know, nbtk files can only be read by Battery or Maschine.  I read something about subscribing to Komplete Now...how would that work?  Would I then somehow be able to convert these kits to be used by DMD?

You'd need to check from someone who knows, as the version of Battery in that subscription bundle seems to be a "bespoke" version - whatever that means, or however that differs from the full version.

Even if it did load them, if you didn't want to continue paying the subscription, you'd either need to sample out the sounds you want, which would be tedious, although at least AutoSampler in Logic relieves you of a lot of that burden, or you might be able to save out the kit + samples from Battery (assuming this subs version has that feature, like the full version), which would at least give you the raw samples used in that kit (but not any extra processing that Battery has on the sounds).

Again - you'd need to check what features the subsription version of Battery has, and whether it will even load any kits that it doesn't come with.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, des99 said:

You'd need to check from someone who knows, as the version of Battery in that subscription bundle seems to be a "bespoke" version - whatever that means, or however that differs from the full version.

Even if it did load them, if you didn't want to continue paying the subscription, you'd either need to sample out the sounds you want, which would be tedious, although at least AutoSampler in Logic relieves you of a lot of that burden, or you might be able to save out the kit + samples from Battery (assuming this subs version has that feature, like the full version), which would at least give you the raw samples used in that kit (but not any extra processing that Battery has on the sounds).

Again - you'd need to check what features the subsription version of Battery has, and whether it will even load any kits that it doesn't come with.

Thanks. There are wav files I can manually drop into DMD, but as you said, I am probably missing some other processing, grooves, etc. Some of the packs have MIDI files, but I don’t know which sample is supposed to be assigned to which key, it makes it kind of a pain to check out the various beats. Not sure it’s worth investing in Battery tho. Is there a lot Battery can do that Logic’s Sampler cannot?

Well, Battery is a kinda different workflow from Sampler. Something like Tal Drum would be closer, but even DMD, using individual QuickSamplers + plugins would give you most of the features, but not the workflow.

• 3 weeks later...

If you do buy battery, make sure to buy it as part of a package, as you will get several other cool stuff.  Battery in itself is not worth $ 200, combined with the other goodies like Massive, several contact instruments, plugins... in a package, the total package is good value.  

NI has every now and then a sale, so buy then if you can wait.

Been using battery in the past, (using TR8s now) it does not have anything you could not do in Logic, but in Logic you would have to do it the Logic way.  If you want to keep that money in your pockets just go for DMD

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 4:31 AM, Yalopa said:

If you do buy battery, make sure to buy it as part of a package, as you will get several other cool stuff.  Battery in itself is not worth $ 200, combined with the other goodies like Massive, several contact instruments, plugins... in a package, the total package is good value.  

NI has every now and then a sale, so buy then if you can wait.

Been using battery in the past, (using TR8s now) it does not have anything you could not do in Logic, but in Logic you would have to do it the Logic way.  If you want to keep that money in your pockets just go for DMD

Thanks for posting that.  I ended up buying a "used" version of Komplete Standard off Ebay for like $325 as I just could not see Battery being worth $200 on its own.

Battery seems cool, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting cells assigned to their individual Aux channel.  I've watched many videos and am doing it the same way others are, but it's just not working right.

Anyway, I decided to load up DMD today and I love how it automatically creates sub channels for every sample.  What isn't as obvious are ways to produce articulations like you can in Battery, particularly 3 stroke ruffs, flams and rolls.  Can that be done within DMD or Q-Sampler?  If so, I'm not really seeing much value in Battery 4 at all.  Of course, like I said, I'm a newb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
On 4/7/2024 at 8:17 PM, 7.62 said:

Battery seems cool, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting cells assigned to their individual Aux channel.

As in routing them to a dedicated mixer channel?

- Load it as a multichannel instrument (choose the best version for you, there's a bunch).

- Right click onto a cell and look at the "output" options at the bottom of the appearing pulldown.

- Expand the mixer tracks in Logic by clicking on the "+" button of the main Battery channel until you see all available channels. You can later on delete individual ones should you not need them.

On 4/16/2024 at 3:20 AM, Sascha Franck said:

As in routing them to a dedicated mixer channel?

- Load it as a multichannel instrument (choose the best version for you, there's a bunch).

- Right click onto a cell and look at the "output" options at the bottom of the appearing pulldown.

- Expand the mixer tracks in Logic by clicking on the "+" button of the main Battery channel until you see all available channels. You can later on delete individual ones should you not need them.

Yeah I could do that in mono, but in stereo it acts weird.  It's ok...for now I'll just stick to mono drums anyway...not using anything I want in a stereo field right now.

22 hours ago, 7.62 said:

Yeah I could do that in mono, but in stereo it acts weird.  It's ok...for now I'll just stick to mono drums anyway...not using anything I want in a stereo field right now.

Thing is, Logic never recognizes Battery as a mixture of mono and stereo outputs. And once you go for one of the mixed output modes, the aux channels Logic will create will be stereo.