"Store as Default Pattern Template" doesn't work?

anp27
Go to solution Solved by Atlas007,

I've tried multiple times to save a Pattern as my default using the "Store as Default Pattern Template" menu item but nothing seems to happen. Whenever I create a new Pattern region it always defaults to Logic's default Pattern. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this a bug?

12 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

Try this:

1. Create a pattern (as you like or need)
  2. Save Pattern (optional)
  3. Save Template
  4. Rename that newly saved template to #default template

I actually skipped the renaming part, step 3. when I went to save the Template I went ahead and named it #default template. Thanks so much! I spent lots of time trying to figure this out to no avail. I hope it's something that Apple will fix in the future but this workaround works great for now!

Not really a bug or something for Apple to "fix" as the behaviour is designed to protect the user from overwriting the "default" accidentally.
i.e. the user must explicitly save the file/name it, in order to overwrite the "default".

16 hours ago, oscwilde said:

Not really a bug or something for Apple to "fix" as the behaviour is designed to protect the user from overwriting the "default" accidentally.
i.e. the user must explicitly save the file/name it, in order to overwrite the "default".

I don't know... I just expect 'Store as Default Pattern Template' to work the same way 'Save As Template' does. I save it and it works. 

UPDATE: Unfortunately this workaround stops working when you open a new project. I've found that there's an extra step to get it to work consistently, on your software instrument track you have to set the Default Region Type to Pattern. If you create a new software instrument track with the Default Region Type set to MIDI and you create a new Pattern, the Pattern will default to Logic's default Pattern. 

Yep....so basically a guardrail to prevent users from overwriting something that they want to keep (or at least drawing their attention)
Having free reign/god mode and no warnings is great until you overwrite that "once in a lifetime" take.

As much as I'd love to deny it...I've definitely done this and have lost work over the years - but am now very meticulous with automatic backups/safety copies...to cover for the human failings of myself/studio colleagues 😂

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, oscwilde said:

Yep....so basically a guardrail to prevent users from overwriting something that they want to keep (or at least drawing their attention)
Having free reign/god mode and no warnings is great until you overwrite that "once in a lifetime" take.

As much as I'd love to deny it...I've definitely done this and have lost work over the years - but am now very meticulous with automatic backups/safety copies...to cover for the human failings of myself/studio colleagues 😂

The issue is Logic doesn't save the Pattern Template at all, when you use the 'Store As Default Pattern Template' menu item. It doesn't give any feedback or confirmation at all, unlike when you save a Project Template. It doesn't do... anything. That's why I asked whether this is a bug or not.

Edited by anp27

UPDATE #2: There's another extra step it seems, you have to also save the entire project as a template as well. So full set of steps is:

1. Create a pattern

2. Save as User Template, rename it as #default template

3. On a software instrument track, set the Default Region Type: Pattern

4. Save the project as a template

On 3/18/2024 at 10:47 PM, anp27 said:

I've tried multiple times to save a Pattern as my default using the "Store as Default Pattern Template" menu item but nothing seems to happen.

It works as described in the manual (and I agree that it may not be the most intuitive behavior): 

You can save the current row assignments and view state of Step Sequencer as the default template for new patterns created on the same track, or another track using the same channel strip.

On 3/18/2024 at 10:47 PM, anp27 said:

Whenever I create a new Pattern region it always defaults to Logic's default Pattern.

You're probably creating the new pattern region on a different track? 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

You're probably creating the new pattern region on a different track? 

Yes, I did mention later on, it has to be a software instrument with the default region type set as Pattern which works correctly.

The issue is, when switching to a new template/project, Logic doesn't remember the saved default Pattern. The workaround is to save the entire project itself as a template, which includes the saved default Pattern + software instrument tracks saved with 'Pattern' as the default region type. In other words, the saved default Pattern doesn't seem to work globally across all Logic projects.

Edited by anp27

24 minutes ago, anp27 said:

The issue is, when switching to a new template/project, Logic doesn't remember the saved default Pattern. The workaround is to save the entire project itself as a template, which includes the saved default Pattern + software instrument tracks saved with 'Pattern' as the default region type. In other words, the saved default Pattern doesn't seem to work globally across all Logic projects.

As you mentioned it, it seems to be a project (default) setting like the project (default) tempo…

Personally, I find this actually useful (once one is aware of same)…

Edited by Atlas007

9 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

the default template for new patterns created on the same track, or another track using the same channel strip.

AFAIR, it could also work onto another track using a different channel strip as well…

Edited by Atlas007

16 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

As you mentioned it, it seems to be a project (default) setting like the project (default) tempo…

Personally, I find this actually useful (once one is aware if same)…

Hmm I would much rather if the saved defaults were global. It's not the end of the world though, at least it's saved within the template.

10 hours ago, anp27 said:

it has to be a software instrument with the default region type set as Pattern which works correctly.

No, the default pattern template works independently of the default region type. Mine was set to MIDI Region and it still uses my custom default pattern template when I create Pattern regions. 

10 hours ago, anp27 said:

The issue is, when switching to a new template/project, Logic doesn't remember the saved default Pattern.

I understand that you would prefer it to work on a global level, but the way it's working is how it's designed to work, and not a bug. I personally would not want it to work on a global level, which would restrict the feature to have one and only one default pattern template for all tracks in all projects. 

9 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

AFAIR, it could also work onto another track using a different channel strip as well…

No, in fact each individual channel strip can have its own individual custom default pattern template, which is the whole point of this feature. For example you can create a default pattern template for a drum track and a different default pattern template for a piano track.  

14 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

No, the default pattern template works independently of the default region type. Mine was set to MIDI Region and it still uses my custom default pattern template when I create Pattern regions. 

I understand that you would prefer it to work on a global level, but the way it's working is how it's designed to work, and not a bug. I personally would not want it to work on a global level, which would restrict the feature to have one and only one default pattern template for all tracks in all projects. 

Good to know it's not a bug. Again, it's not the end of the world if the saved default Pattern isn't global, I'll be able to work around that limitation.

• Like 1