Marinate my ears with the masters

I sent this similar question on another site

I was hoping the following scenario was possible:

I either subscribe to a website or buy individual  scores as MIDI

but they can be heard as midi in a notation or score view

and I can change the parts 

change the clefs

Hear the parts in any combination eg alto and bass. Or soprano and tenor etc

and I can ( strictly for learning that the composes idea is better than my own ) modify the parts

i dont Want to enter each part myself -

I want to hear the parts for my education, but see little value in laboriously entering the parts in a daw or notation app. My classical piano skills are weak. 

i had thought Musescore would be tne way   I was told by one use logic score view is far from ideal , I’m hoping he’s mistaken 

But I’m not sure  , and I am open to any daw and notation apps and sources for midi scores since I’m not familiar with any particular ones 

the how to do this - is bottom line . Is this readily doable ?

Short answer:  Yes to all of the above.

Long answer:  Yes. You would however have to commit to some learning, which may prove to present its curve as a steep one. However, you will find on this forum help resource to ease it. Additionally, if you intend to learn a DAW for composition purpose, Logic is also a formidable tool for same. 

Caveat: the type of MIDI file will dictate how Logic will display it. That also applies to all other DAWs.

Edited by Atlas007

Admittedly lengthy but useful to be aware of, here is some insight about MIDI and MIDI files. (No need to know everything by heart)

By type of MIDI file, I (mostly) meant what data it was actually containing. Those data depends a lot on the way the MIDI file was created (and its creator’s purpose/proficiency). Therefore, depending of the way the MIDI file was created, it may not contain all the data that Logic will need to render it satisfactorily (to fulfill your specific needs). Which might (in your case) imply some adjustment(s) to achieve interesting score layout. The required adjustment(s) may range from little to extensive, sometimes none. AFAIK, that also applies to all DAWs.

For the source of MIDI file types, googling "MIDI files", with descriptors to narrow the results will yield a slew of options. Some are free, others not. Quality varies a lot. I personally don’t have specific website to recommend. This website seems however promising

Edited by Atlas007
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

I am unfortunately strictly a musician. but I was "forced" to adapt and purchase a list price $5000 yamaha tyros 4. I used this as a one man band approach... but I SOLELY used the drum styles within it... The bass and keyboard parts were all my own!  I had a love hate relationship with Tyros. Further "adapting", caused me to purchase a slew of MIDI pop songs designed by Yamaha ( Yamaha Soft. ) .. You "pop em" into the Tyros and voila, you get amazingly good representations of Sting, EWF, Bruno, etc etc. , maybe 10% were not good enough for performance but most were more than adequate, and 10% were amazing. eg Steely Dan Aja. . You could change tempo, and key, the instruments,  and the mix of each of the 16 parts, more or less on the fly!  ( Thank you MIDI ) As a professional who takes that maybe a tad too seriously, I had to get used to playing this "canned music". Of course I would play minimalist parts on top of the midi.  Well that experience came and went. I have a menial job now. ( another story unto itself) 

Now I am likely in my final phase as a musical person... and that means after 50 + years of being an improvisor in mostly pop, jazz, funk, blues, club date, session player domains. I want to create some kind of music. A totally different process than playing what you hear..  Composing seems to be more "thoughtful" process. No knock on the grand art of improv. 

The beauty of this last phase of my life, is I finally don't have to be concerned one iota about commercial music, or as earlier musicians might say, "play pretty for the people"... Don't take that the wrong way I have immense respect for an artist who is simultaneously true to his art AND can be affable and communicate with the audience -  an audience who are an integral part of the gestalt of music . 

But in my case I am finally free to not be restrained in any way. I was good at playing commercially ... and perhaps had some integrity too.  If I have your attention I can digress about a few musicians who come to mind.

Miles Davis frowned upon the equally great but quite entertaining  Louis Armstrong.. I can see both pov.

Chick Corea made a conscious effort to Communicate with audiences.

Sonny Rollins and John Coltrane seemed less so.. yet were the greatest artists. There's room for a whole spectrum of approaches on the bandstand or concert hall. 

I hope I placed this response in the correct space. because I see QUOTE down below! 

My time on earth is such that shortcuts are not meant to insult the old school of learning.. I have the greatest regard for that. But I have to keep my eye on eye on the goal... Making music! Thank you all.

Edited by JacoBirdTrane
  • Like 1

Well, well! It seems that I was way off in my reply; understanding that you were looking for MIDI files to be displayed as scored partitions. On top of which I had interpreted your query about MIDI file types as a need for clarification in that domain… Oh well, that seems to be the story of my life!

Anyhow, Logic is definitely the DAW per excellence to be creative. It offers tons of tools to explore uncharted grounds, those you trace yourself. 

Personally, I yearn aesthetically compositional process. Of course, it has to be pleasing myself first. If I reach some audience with same, there comes the extra satisfaction.

• Love 1

On 3/26/2024 at 2:02 PM, Atlas007 said:

Well, well! It seems that I was way off in my reply; understanding that you were looking for MIDI files to be displayed as scored partitions. On top of which I had interpreted your query about MIDI file types as a need for clarification in that domain… Oh well, that seems to be the story of my life!

Anyhow, Logic is definitely the DAW per excellence to be creative. It offers tons of tools to explore uncharted grounds, those you trace yourself. 

Personally, I yearn aesthetically compositional process. Of course, it has to be pleasing myself first. If I reach some audience with same, there comes the extra satisfaction.

You don't need to apologize to me! I am glad you took the time. 

I paid a younger fellow to help with my desire for essentially MIDI attached to PDF. He went ahead and Purchased MUSESCORE 4.. and I am happy to say he says I can indeed have PDF with MIDI using MUSESCORE.  I will give more info on this when I accrue more experience!

I can print 

I want to simultaneously hear the midi while being able to select which parts ( preferably in score mode on a grand staff) “play” 

picture 4 parts on two staves aka grand staff

i can hopefully select any combination of the four parts and hear them play 

SATB stands for the four parts 

I can hear S and B 

or S and A

or SAT

The purpose is to marinate educate my mind/ ear to the genius’s of past eras 

im not a classically trained pianist who could play the parts 

1 hour ago, rAC said:

You can pdf ‘print’ Logic created scores.