Is there a way to nudge audio while the transient detection is held in place?

Rick T

Hey, huge question! Is there a way to nudge audio while the transient detection is held in place? it always cuts a tiny but of the start of a transient off and for editing drums, if I want all of them perfectly lined up at the absolute start of the transient, id have to manually adjust all of the markers. Would take so long lol  you can do this in pro tools very easily so I'm wondering if you can do this in logic. Im so close to finding a faster way to edit drums in logic, but this transient thing is all that is left to figure out, otherwise I have to just subscribe to edit drums in protools lol thanks!

I should clarify, that I am talking about the transient detection in the file editor, prior to flex timing. I use a quantize, then go through and fix any mistakes type of method. either way, is there an easier way to adjust the position of all the transient detections at once so that when I quantize it in Flex Time, it places everything correctly?

1 hour ago, Rick T said:

is there an easier way to adjust the position of all the transient detections at once

Like David said, that's not possible.

10 hours ago, Rick T said:

if I want all of them perfectly lined up at the absolute start of the transient

Realistically, in all the years since Flex Time and transient detection/editing was introduced, there's no need for that. You either add the odd missing transient or remove the few unnecessary ones. The vast majority of them will be fine right where the algorithm placed them. There's no need to have them "perfect". To be honest, I also obsessed about this at first, but there's really no need.

J.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 8:15 AM, Jordi Torres said:

Like David said, that's not possible.

Realistically, in all the years since Flex Time and transient detection/editing was introduced, there's no need for that. You either add the odd missing transient or remove the few unnecessary ones. The vast majority of them will be fine right where the algorithm placed them. There's no need to have them "perfect". To be honest, I also obsessed about this at first, but there's really no need.

J.

I appreciate the help, but im not just starting out..in all the time ive been doing this, something definitely creates artifacts that seem to be more resolved when it places it right at the start of the transient, without cutting it off..I wouldn’t have come here if i hadn’t experimented with process of elimination..theres also a weird thing where the markers that are solid lines creates audible artifacts, but when replaced with a manual transient marker, it just magically goes away lol idk man, looks like pro tools might have to be the move..ive been manually placing every single transient for years and it gets slower the further into the song you get..just had enough and was trying the quantize method..thanks though for the response!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rick T said:

I appreciate the help, but im not just starting out..in all the time ive been doing this, something definitely creates artifacts that seem to be more resolved when it places it right at the start of the transient, without cutting it off..I wouldn’t have come here if i hadn’t experimented with process of elimination..theres also a weird thing where the markers that are solid lines creates audible artifacts, but when replaced with a manual transient marker, it just magically goes away lol idk man, looks like pro tools might have to be the move..ive been manually placing every single transient for years and it gets slower the further into the song you get..just had enough and was trying the quantize method..thanks though for the response!

And i mean, from what I’ve been experiencing, you’re not wrong in that it doesnt always do it..some of them are fine, but a bunchhhh seem to have that weird phasey noise in the overheads..close mic will sound fine though..it goes away when im sure to grab the very start of the transient..I believe pro tools does something like that too, but allows you to nudge all the audio over so it lines up better

14 minutes ago, Rick T said:

a bunchhhh seem to have that weird phasey noise in the overheads

In the previous post you said you have some experience with it already so perhaps you already know all of this ... but just in case you (or someone else reading this) haven't tried that yet: make sure you set the Flex mode to slicing and deselect the fill gaps option. 

I do agree though that sometimes Logic makes weird choices for transient detection, and after I spend some time meticulously repositioning them manually, I end up getting a better sounding result. I haven't used Pro Tools in ages so I can't compare its transient detection. I would be curious if you can post examples of comparisons of where PT vs Logic place the transient markers for a drum recording. 

I suppose that under the hood there's a mathematical algorithm at play for determining the position of the transients, and I agree that it would be great to have a couple of parameters to tweak on that algo in order to choose where we, as the user, want them. 

Something like a Threshold and Pre-Attack Time, kinda like we have for "Remove Silence from Audio Regions". 

1 hour ago, David Nahmani said:

In the previous post you said you have some experience with it already so perhaps you already know all of this ... but just in case you (or someone else reading this) haven't tried that yet: make sure you set the Flex mode to slicing and deselect the fill gaps option. 

I do agree though that sometimes Logic makes weird choices for transient detection, and after I spend some time meticulously repositioning them manually, I end up getting a better sounding result. I haven't used Pro Tools in ages so I can't compare its transient detection. I would be curious if you can post examples of comparisons of where PT vs Logic place the transient markers for a drum recording. 

I suppose that under the hood there's a mathematical algorithm at play for determining the position of the transients, and I agree that it would be great to have a couple of parameters to tweak on that algo in order to choose where we, as the user, want them. 

Something like a Threshold and Pre-Attack Time, kinda like we have for "Remove Silence from Audio Regions". 

Yeah i do use the slicing algorithm, im curious why you say to turn off the fill gaps option? It then has a bunch of hard cuts in the audio, so am i using that to check something?

and i have just started toying around with pro tools so once i get a solid workflow id be happy to post comparisons! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick T said:

im curious why you say to turn off the fill gaps option? It then has a bunch of hard cuts in the audio, so am i using that to check something?

Well I suppose it depends on the style and on your drum recordings, but personally I prefer hard silence in my drum tracks (as if I had used a noise gate during recording) rather than an algorithm that tries to fill those gaps with made up audio signal that often sounds odd and unnatural to me. 

The hard silence gaps in the individual drum tracks are not a problem once I hear the drums in the context of the entire song. But obviously it all depends on the genre, the instrumentation etc. 

1 hour ago, Rick T said:

i have just started toying around with pro tools so once i get a solid workflow id be happy to post comparisons! 

Cool thanks!

1 hour ago, David Nahmani said:

Well I suppose it depends on the style and on your drum recordings, but personally I prefer hard silence in my drum tracks (as if I had used a noise gate during recording) rather than an algorithm that tries to fill those gaps with made up audio signal that often sounds odd and unnatural to me. 

The hard silence gaps in the individual drum tracks are not a problem once I hear the drums in the context of the entire song. But obviously it all depends on the genre, the instrumentation etc. 

Cool thanks!

Hmm i can try it on another track, but yeah maybe its my drumming, when i turned that off it was definitely an issue haha way more unnatural for me but ill keep experimenting..do you think the longer the decay on that is, the more likely artifacts can be heard? It defaults to 0.5 seconds but i wonder if decreasing it could help find a happy medium between your results and mine

I couldn't tell because I always turn it off and use reverb (which helps make the gaps less obvious), but it's definitely worth experimenting with the different settings to see what works for you, your drumming style, the instrumentation in your arrangement, the musical style etc.