Slice at transient makes Logic extremely slow.

Dzvon

Hi guys!

That's my first time here so I'm very glad to meet you!

I have a problem with Logic Pro X. I've been working on editing a multitrack drum session, but I've encountered an issue that prevents me from completing the task.

During the editing process, I use the "slicing" flex mode to slice the tracks at transient points. After slicing the tracks, we come to the main issue:

Any editing action, such as moving a region, cutting, or adding a fade, takes Logic about 3 seconds. The entire program becomes sluggish, despite my CPU not being overloaded and having sufficient disk space.

Resetting the computer, creating a new session, freezing tracks, or any other action to increase computational power doesn't seem to help.

Interestingly, I shared the tracks with a friend who tried to work on them on his computer, and he encountered the same issue.

Furthermore, when trying to repeat all the steps sequentially, Flex sometimes doesn't slice all the tracks evenly but rather randomly, which can be frustrating.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance or tips that could help me resolve this issue.

Thanks!

If you're creating lots of regions - many hundreds, or thousands, Logic does tend to bog down with redraws, at this time. I think I started to notice it when testing on previous threads at something like 700 regions, redrawing and other arrange options start becoming slower. At thousands of regions, it does become very slow (which is obviously not great).

The only workaround at this time is to not generate large amounts of regions, I think...

12 hours ago, des99 said:

If you're creating lots of regions - many hundreds, or thousands, Logic does tend to bog down with redraws, at this time. I think I started to notice it when testing on previous threads at something like 700 regions, redrawing and other arrange options start becoming slower. At thousands of regions, it does become very slow (which is obviously not great).

The only workaround at this time is to not generate large amounts of regions, I think...

I get your point but unfortunately it's not the case. I've also tried to get rod of this problem by reducing number of regions and still the problem appears. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, polanoid said:

Just tried with ~2000 regions here and didn't notice any lags/slowness. 10.7.9 on M1 Max / Sonoma 

Here's a previous thread showing slowdown problems with ~700 regions.

I found another post where I did some tests and didn't seen slowdowns until about 40,000 regions (I vaguely remember stress testing this, but I can't seem find the thread where I did this on, of what versions/system I was using)

Anyway, the OP has indicated this doesn't seem to be the problem...

Should the reason for the slowdown be a lot of regions, then one workaround is to pack as many as possible into folders (which yes, have a bunch of other workflow implications). Perhaps in 8-bar sections or whatever makes sense for your piece.

That way if you're on the top level you can work almost normally and if you need some detail you go into a folder.

Edited by wonshu
  • Like 1