Chromaverb crackling

mothershout
Go to solution Solved by Atlas007,

I'm 90% sure that Chromaverb is crackling and popping... I'm working through a project and stopping and starting playback a lot. Every so often I'll hear crackling - stopping playback stops it. I ended up waiting for it to happen and then solo'oing tracks to see if I could lock down the source, and it seems like it's Chromaverb. I have a vague memory of this happening to me in another project but I didn't make good notes.

This is on an M1 Macbook with effectively no CPU usage showing on meters. There's nothing fancy set up on Chromaverb (stock Large Wooden Room preset with a modified output EQ, and Ultra quality). No buses or strips are anywhere close to exceeding 0dBFS.

Is this just me, or has anyone else experienced the Chromaverb Crackle?

Drop the quality setting to High (and also try Low).
This will provide a clue if it's Chromaverb "spiking" or something in the source that is being picked up/enhanced by the reverb reflections/EQ, etc. Freeze isn't being used, is it?

Good suggestions, thanks @oscwilde . Changing the quality didn’t make a difference, and the crackling remained intermittent. No Freeze in this case (the project does use Freeze on a different Chromaverb on a different track, and that worked fine). In the end I switched to a different reverb and the problem went away.

Hmm… Good question. I’d have to go back and test out other presets. The setup was that preset with an output EQ dropping everything below 600Hz and above 10k (the “Abbey Road” reverb EQ). The source was a mix of many sources; this is the primary “glue” reverb for a track.

I did realise, after switching reverbs, that I was still using the minimal audio buffer size. It’s possible that was the cause, though no other plugin had any issues with it.

• Solution
6 hours ago, mothershout said:

I did realise, after switching reverbs, that I was still using the minimal audio buffer size. It’s possible that was the cause, though no other plugin had any issues with it.

Very likely indeed…