Soloing mutes unwanted tracks and busses

danhirsch

My workflow includes routing all tracks in the session to one of two busses. Vocals and instruments.

Theses two then both go into my mixbus and the mixbus goes to the master bus. Great workflow, always works.  See attached image. 

Now I'm getting this, can anyone figure out why Logic mutes my vocal tracks and busses when I put my mixbus (or master bus) in solo?

I can not figure it out🤨

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2024-03-28 at 14.52.07.jpg

5 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

That does look wrong. 😞 

I tried to reproduce that same routing here in 10.8.1 and could not reproduce the unexpected muting of upstream tracks when soloing the mix bus. Are you experiencing this in 10.8.1? 

Hi David, this is on 10.7 which is what I use on my studio Intel mac.
I just  downloaded a copy of the project to my other mac with 10.8.1 and it acts the same way..

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, David Nahmani said:

Sorry to hear, looks like a bug in that project? Can you reproduce this issue in a new project? 

1. I'll give it a try and report back.
2. you know what even weirder?
In one track stack, it does that to some tracks, but not all. (see image)
I'm just trying to see if something escapes my mind that can cause this.

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 18.12.29.png

15 minutes ago, danhirsch said:

I'm just trying to see if something escapes my mind that can cause this.

If there is something, it's escaping my mind as well. Especially since I can't reproduce it here. But just looking at your screenshot, I can't find any sense or reason for this behavior. 

2 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

If there is something, it's escaping my mind as well. Especially since I can't reproduce it here. But just looking at your screenshot, I can't find any sense or reason for this behavior. 

Would you be able to try and open it? Maybe you can find out what the reason is?

This is tiny, only the project. So obviously all audio files are gonna be missing, and probably plugins too. But it doesn't matter cause it still shows the problem. 10.8.1

Logic mutes unwanted tracks when soloing.zip

I tried it and could reproduce your described behavior: in your project file, BV and LV stacks are both muted. 

My guess is that Logic thinks this way: soloing MIXBUS = keeping the Aux that receives Bus 100 on, and muting all other Auxes, except if another Aux is routed to Bus 100. The problem is that it's not smart enough to realize that you have another layer of routing there, with another Aux that is routed to bus 99 that goes to another Aux that receives bus 99 and routes it to bus 100, so while the latter is solo-safed, the former isn't. 

However I was not able to reproduce this issue in a new empty project started in 10.8.1 (screenshot below). Is your project started from an older version, or using a template created in an older version? 

Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 1.17.48 PM.png

yes, on my main studio mac I have 10.7 and this is where the project originated from.
And yes, the project is based on a template, also created in 10.7, but the template doesn't include the mixing routing with the INST, VOC --> MIXBUS --> MASTERBUS, which I add manually when the project transitions from production to mixing.

2 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

I tried it and could reproduce your described behavior: in your project file, BV and LV stacks are both muted. 

My guess is that Logic thinks this way: soloing MIXBUS = keeping the Aux that receives Bus 100 on, and muting all other Auxes, except if another Aux is routed to Bus 100. The problem is that it's not smart enough to realize that you have another layer of routing there, with another Aux that is routed to bus 99 that goes to another Aux that receives bus 99 and routes it to bus 100, so while the latter is solo-safed, the former isn't. 

However I was not able to reproduce this issue in a new empty project started in 10.8.1 (screenshot below). Is your project started from an older version, or using a template created in an older version? 

Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 1.17.48 PM.png

2 hours ago, danhirsch said:

yes, on my main studio mac I have 10.7 and this is where the project originated from.
And yes, the project is based on a template, also created in 10.7, but the template doesn't include the mixing routing with the INST, VOC --> MIXBUS --> MASTERBUS, which I add manually when the project transitions from production to mixing.

Ok so I'm thinking maybe that's why that project behaves like this, and not new ones started in 10.8.1? Just a guess.