Volume jump/inaccurate volume monitoring with VSTs?

thehiltzbass

Hi all! This happens every so often when I'm working with VSTs: Spitfire Solo Strings or Albions in Kontakt, or strings in BBC SO Core  - when I'm adjusting expression, playback level oddly jumps around... I'll mix an instrument, then when that track is no longer selected the playback volume will be totally different. No consistency as far as the result being louder or quieter than original. A restart of Logic usually solves this and it will be consistent volume again. And yes, I've checked all automation lanes and prefader sends. I have a Presonus Faderport, gen 1 I think (the old one), could that have something to do with it? Fader is visually staying in the same place. Is it the VSTs? Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug that needs to be fixed in Logic? It's wasting so much time... I think I'm mixing, but I'm actually just blindly poking around because I have no idea if what I'm hearing is accurate! 

Thanks for any suggestions!   

Hm, didn't seem to help - I forgot to mention I'm also running Art Conductor and Plugsearch! I realize those are midi things also. I wonder if it has something to do with that... sometimes AC doesn't switch the articulation even though everything visible says it should, and I've just had to 'all notes off' some patches that were playing continuously past playback.