MIDI notes disappearing from piano roll on playback

phermann

Hey there,
title says it all already.
When I select a region, I see everything in the pianoroll as expected. As soon as I hit playback however, the notes disappear (playback continues as expected).

I've seen a lot of suggestions to fiddle around with the link button but as this only disconnects the region information from the info displayed in the pianoroll, this is not a durable solution.

I have several region automations on this track and if I disable all of them, everything behaves as it should. As soon as I enable one of the automation lanes, the notes start to disappear again. I suspected there is something going on with controller assignments referring to the same midi cc so I deleted all my controller assignments, but it still happens.

This completely destroys my workflow so I'd be very grateful for any ideas!

Edit: This not only happens on the track containing the automation data but on every single midi track in my project.

midi-disappearing.gif

Edited by phermann

That is odd indeed.

Sometimes simply rebooting the Mac could do the trick.

BTW, do you run other app(s) concurrently? 

If not, instead of using the pane version of the Piano Roll, have you tried opening a PianoRoll editor in its own dedicated window?

Perhaps ensuring to also maintain the track (containing the region) selected could help.

You could perhaps do the usual troubleshooting rundown

Doing an NV/PRAM and SMC reset could help in many cases as well.

If that doesn’t help, I would suspect your project (and its associated template) to be corrupted. In such a case you would have to rebuild your project.

Edited by Atlas007

Hey everyone, thanks so much for your replies so far and sorry for being late to respond!

On 4/6/2024 at 2:49 AM, oscwilde said:

@phermann Is the info in your sig correct?
Is the Mac Mini an Intel or Apple Silicon machine?
If either (but particularly the latter), is there any reason why you're running Monterey/10.7.4?

No, it wasn't up to date, I updated it accordingly. It is a M1 machine and I'm running Monterey 12.6.7 as by now.

On 4/3/2024 at 11:47 PM, Atlas007 said:

Sometimes simply rebooting the Mac could do the trick.

BTW, do you run other app(s) concurrently? 

If not, instead of using the pane version of the Piano Roll, have you tried opening a PianoRoll editor in its own dedicated window?

Perhaps ensuring to also maintain the track (containing the region) selected could help.

You could perhaps do the usual troubleshooting rundown

Doing an NV/PRAM and SMC reset could help in many cases as well.

If that doesn’t help, I would suspect your project (and its associated template) to be corrupted. In such a case you would have to rebuild your project.

Rebooting didn't do anything. No other apps are running. It happens both in the pane version and the dedicated window.

On 4/4/2024 at 11:20 AM, David Nahmani said:

I suppose this could be a MIDI channel issue... Could you make a copy of that project and attach it here so that one of us could have a look? 

I attached it to this post. I deleted the audio files in the Media Folder, as the problem is only related to MIDI. The behaviour described above is still happening.

MIDI DISAPPEARING (FORUM).zip

1 hour ago, phermann said:

Hey everyone, thanks so much for your replies so far and sorry for being late to respond!

No, it wasn't up to date, I updated it accordingly. It is a M1 machine and I'm running Monterey 12.6.7 as by now.

Rebooting didn't do anything. No other apps are running. It happens both in the pane version and the dedicated window.

I attached it to this post. I deleted the audio files in the Media Folder, as the problem is only related to MIDI. The behaviour described above is still happening.

MIDI DISAPPEARING (FORUM).zip 1.31 MB · 1 download

Happens because Replace Mode is on. A bug, I guess. Could you report it via Apple's feedback page https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro/?

Hi guys, I have had this same problem happening in a Logic Pro project and I do NOT have any Arturia plug-ins installed and am on Ventura with Logic Pro 10.8.1.  Like the OP, I can make the problem go away by deactivating Replace mode. This is repeatable.  I read in another forum that this problem might only occur with older Logic projects that are opened in the newest Logic versions.  So I copied the same MIDI region to a newly created project, enabled Replace mode, and the problem does NOT happen. 

4 hours ago, Fusion Head said:

Hi guys, I have had this same problem happening in a Logic Pro project and I do NOT have any Arturia plug-ins installed and am on Ventura with Logic Pro 10.8.1.  Like the OP, I can make the problem go away by deactivating Replace mode. This is repeatable.  

Can you share a project where you've stripped down the tracks/regions to the bare minimum needed to reproduce this issue so that we can see if we can reproduce it? 

Hi, to prepare a simple Logic project with this problem, I made a copy of the project and began stripping it down. As I removed all the additional MIDI tracks (and their instrument plug-ins), something interesting happened. It turns out that this 'disappearing MIDI notes' problem only happens when there is a first MIDI track (with any instrument assigned), and a second MIDI track with the Garritan CFX instrument assigned.  If I disable (turn OFF) the Garritan track, or if I replace the Garritan instrument with any other instrument, the problem goes away on the first track, even if Replace is still activated. Weird, yes? How could the Garritan V.I. possibly be causing a problem on an adjacent track? I am happy to provide this Logic test project to you - of course, you must have the Garritan CFX library to test this yourself - but the Logic project file is over the forum's 1.95 MB max for attaching files.

4 hours ago, Fusion Head said:

the Logic project file is over the forum's 1.95 MB max for attaching files.

You could circumvent this limitation using a file sharing service like Dropbox… You would then only post the link to download the project file previously uploaded on the said file sharing service website.

29 minutes ago, Fusion Head said:

Sorry, yes, I can share using another file share, see link below. Hoping someone with Garritan CFX can replicate this problem... 

https://jmp.sh/RPpx0f4O

Thanx!

In order to avoid eventual project’s files corruption during the transfer process, I forgot to mention that it is highly advisable to compress the project into a zip file before uploading same on the file sharing service website. Sorry!