How do I remove MIDI CC automation when exporting as a MIDI file?

Go to solution Solved by polanoid,

If I have a MIDI track, say, for example, a trumpet, and I draw in MIDI CC expression or modulation automation and I export that track as a MIDI file, how can I export it so none of the MIDI CC automation data is exported as well?

I have tried the following:

1. Just exporting the track as MIDI but that results, when dragging it into a new project, with Logic Pro creating 2 tracks (one the Steinway piano which shows the MIDI notes of the track and the other Epic Cloud Formation which shows some of the MIDI CC automation; and

2. Clicking on "Automation/MIDI" in the piano roll and turning it off -- however, this results in the same export as above

Is there a setting or workaround such that I can export a track as a MIDI file without the MIDI CC data? 

Thank you

4 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

I would go in the Event List editor, enable the Continuous Controller events and disable the other events (notes) display. Then select them (the CCs) all and hot the Mac’s Delete key.

image.thumb.jpeg.be4a09b5250345a2d0b165dc0da67c63.jpeg

There might be other more elegant ways…

Would that not delete them?  I suppose I would then have to hit CMD+Z to undo it after exporting

7 hours ago, Symphonichrome said:

Would that not delete them?  I suppose I would then have to hit CMD+Z to undo it after exporting

Just make a copy of the region first, that you can then delete the CC events from, export that and delete it afterwards

14 hours ago, Symphonichrome said:

1. Just exporting the track as MIDI but that results, when dragging it into a new project, with Logic Pro creating 2 tracks (one the Steinway piano which shows the MIDI notes of the track and the other Epic Cloud Formation which shows some of the MIDI CC automation; and

Could you post such an exported MIDI file here? I find it very strange that Logic would split one exported region into two separate regions upon import

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, polanoid said:

Just make a copy of the region first, that you can then delete the CC events from, export that and delete it afterwards

Could you post such an exported MIDI file here? I find it very strange that Logic would split one exported region into two separate regions upon import

Sure

Here is the original MIDI track with CC data:

Screenshot2024-04-10at12_03_19PM.png.7323868e13f5fde096cc9def0e33d1ab.png

Here I am exporting as MIDI file:

Screenshot2024-04-10at12_03_39PM.png.668380fa944196571480c3955f5efa0d.png

Here it is upon dragging it into a brand new Logic Project:

Screenshot2024-04-10at12_09_14PM.thumb.png.62a12deac2945988ea4e449646cc61b4.png

Edited by Symphonichrome
screenshot

1 hour ago, David Nahmani said:

Option + drag that original MIDI region to a new track. On the new track, select the MIDI region and delete the Controller data the way Atlas showed you, then export that MIDI region. 

What am I going to end up doing is to copy the MIDI notes onto a new track then export that track as MIDI

I just thought that Logic would have a "one click" way to "export midi without CC data"

3 hours ago, Symphonichrome said:

I just thought that Logic would have a "one click" way to "export midi without CC data"

No - just as there isn't, eg, a one click "export MIDI but change my Cmin7 chords to Aflat".

Basically, you prepare the data you want to export using all of Logic's tools (which includes deleting anything you don't want), and then when it's in the state you want, export it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, des99 said:

just as there isn't, eg, a one click "export MIDI but change my Cmin7 chords to Aflat"

😂
Quick....someone contact the dev team - Logic's the worst DAW in history without that function.
That, and the missing "make a hit" button.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Symphonichrome said:

Sure

Here is the original MIDI track with CC data:

Screenshot2024-04-10at12_03_19PM.png.7323868e13f5fde096cc9def0e33d1ab.png

Here I am exporting as MIDI file:

Screenshot2024-04-10at12_03_39PM.png.668380fa944196571480c3955f5efa0d.png

Here it is upon dragging it into a brand new Logic Project:

Screenshot2024-04-10at12_09_14PM.thumb.png.62a12deac2945988ea4e449646cc61b4.png

I can't reproduce this here so I was hoping you'd post the MIDI File this happens with

• Solution

Workaround: Uncheck this global setting General->Project Handling-> image.png.aebf35f9db3b83a561723087aa886e24.png

when exporting. The channel info will be lost in that case though (so the controller data will be on the same channel as the notes after importing)

• Like 1