Midi controlled tempo

Sancho Loba
Go to solution Solved by Jordi Torres,

Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on a live set using Logic's live loops mode.

I have a little midi controller (Akai LPD8) and would like to use one of its knobs to control my global tempo.

I've tried simply using the CMD + L shortcut. It works, but the values range between 5 and 900 BPM, and I can't find a way to set its range between 100 and 150 BPM to have an accurate control. It just jumps with increments that are about 10-20 BPM wich doesn't work for me because I need to increase from let's say 118 BPM to 120BPM, and I can't find a way to reach that precision. FYI, my project ranges between 106 and 142 BPM.

I hope it makes sense...

Thanks for your help !

Olivier

40 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

Have you tried with the Tempo fader object in the Environment?

In other words, Sancho, you can set it up similar to the following in the MIDI Environment:

Screenshot2024-04-13at00_29_50.thumb.png.aead4bcbd03024e7776b3ea263952e3d.png

By patching the Tempo fader somewhere after the Physical Input object, you can specify which CC you want to use to set its values (no need for CMD + L in this case). In the screenshot above you see I've chosen CC 14.

If your controller allows so set a specific range of values for the CCs sent by its knobs, you could set it to a range of 50 to 100 and this will restrict the values set by the Tempo fader to your desired 100 to 150 BPM range.

Furthermore, if you want to record tempo changes, make sure you patch a cable between the Tempo fader and the Sequencer Input object.

J.

• Like 3

On 4/13/2024 at 12:39 AM, Jordi Torres said:

In other words, Sancho, you can set it up similar to the following in the MIDI Environment:

Screenshot2024-04-13at00_29_50.thumb.png.aead4bcbd03024e7776b3ea263952e3d.png

By patching the Tempo fader somewhere after the Physical Input object, you can specify which CC you want to use to set its values (no need for CMD + L in this case). In the screenshot above you see I've chosen CC 14.

If your controller allows so set a specific range of values for the CCs sent by its knobs, you could set it to a range of 50 to 100 and this will restrict the values set by the Tempo fader to your desired 100 to 150 BPM range.

Furthermore, if you want to record tempo changes, make sure you patch a cable between the Tempo fader and the Sequencer Input object.

J.

Thanks for your answer ! Do you think that you could detail the process, I'm not sure I understand. Furthermore, I have several midi devices connected at the same time. Without using the CMD+L, how do I make sure that there is no conflict between the controls ?

THank you very much ! 

Sancho

• Like 1

Hi Sancho,

16 minutes ago, Sancho Loba said:

Do you think that you could detail the process, I'm not sure I understand.

Could you please be specific about which part of what I explained above you do not understand?

16 minutes ago, Sancho Loba said:

Furthermore, I have several midi devices connected at the same time. Without using the CMD+L, how do I make sure that there is no conflict between the controls ?

With the setup shown in my screenshot, any MIDI device sending CC 14 would control the Tempo fader. If you wanted a specific MIDI controller controlling the Tempo fader, then you would need to patch a cable from that controller's input port (in the Physical Input object) to the tempo fader, while leaving the Sum port connection as it is.

J.

So, I have very few knowledge about the midi environnement in Logic (and also midi in general). I don't understand why you patched it through a keyboard, and then what that "input view" window is there for. Also, how do I set the specific knob on my controller to send that CC 14 control ?

Sorry for all the questions, it all seems a bit blurry to me.

• Solution
Posted (edited)

Hi Sancho,

In my screenshot I patched it through the keyboard object only because that object is there by default, but you don't have to do it that way if you don't want to. The important thing is to patch a port (either the Sum or a specific device's port) to the Tempo fader.

At that point you will already be able to control the project's tempo either by manually adjusting the slider, or by sending a MIDI message you've configured in the Tempo fader's input parameters in the inspector (as shown in my screenshot).

Finally, if you want to record the tempo changes, you need to patch a cable from the Tempo fader to the Sequencer Input object.

If you need more information about how things work in the MIDI Environment, it is documented in the Logic Pro manual, but if you have any specific questions, you can also ask here.

Overview of the Environment in Logic Pro for Mac

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sancho Loba said:

what that "input view" window is there for.

That "Input view" is a Monitor object (which was rename to describe its usefulness). The Monitor object (like the keyboard object) is also there by default. Its usefulness is simply to show what MIDI data is travelling through the cable it is connected to.

Edited by Atlas007
  • Like 2

On 4/18/2024 at 4:37 PM, Jordi Torres said:

Hi Sancho,

In my screenshot I patched it through the keyboard object only because that object is there by default, but you don't have to do it that way if you don't want to. The important thing is to patch a port (either the Sum or a specific device's port) to the Tempo fader.

At that point you will already be able to control the project's tempo either by manually adjusting the slider, or by sending a MIDI message you've configured in the Tempo fader's input parameters in the inspector (as shown in my screenshot).

Finally, if you want to record the tempo changes, you need to patch a cable from the Tempo fader to the Sequencer Input object.

If you need more information about how things work in the MIDI Environment, it is documented in the Logic Pro manual, but if you have any specific questions, you can also ask here.

J.

Ok thank you, this has been very helpful.

My last struggle is to find which cc is sent by the knob I want to use to control that tempo fader. 

Is there any way to double check on which channel my LPD 8 is ?

I've been wiring the physical input of the LPD 8 to the tempo fader, typing what I think is the appropriate control (3=CTRL3 In my case). But as I move the knob, nothing happens on screen...

Thank you guys ! 

On 4/18/2024 at 4:37 PM, Jordi Torres said:

Hi Sancho,

J.

Ok, so the tempo fader is working and being controlled by my midi device, but as soon as I launch a loop in Logic, it resets the tempo to the value previously set in the project (the tempo I set with my mouse before).

How can I avoid that (I tried patching the tempo fader to the sequencer input but it doesn't work...) ?

Thanks !